REM sleep EEG vs Beta wave EEG

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 8 20:04:38 EST 2003

news:3f3e2522.0306081328.4abe2c1a at posting.google.com...
news:<ZbKEa.192062$ja4.10275952 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>..
.

news:<X5qEa.113921$cO3.8350592 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
| >  message
| > During 'sleep', the brain is actively performing
| > information-processing work.
| >
| > It's =not= 'relaxed'.
|
| Okay is isn't relaxed. However is less active than during
| 'wakefuleness' and intense concentration. Right?

I don't know with certainty, but probably not.

There're probably definitive studies out there
[which can be(?) located by spending some 'time'
searching PubMed].

Viewing the problem from a slightly-different
perspective, one can 'measure' it's activation-
'intensity' by the crucial nature of the information-
processing work that's being accomplished
during sleep-consciousness.

During every 'normal' sleep-consciousness,
one's whole experiential information-base is
being maintained. It's Crucial that such be
accomplished robustly.

So I don't expect there's anything 'relaxed'
in-there [overall].

Obviously, because the muscles are 'turned-off',
there are 'areas' that are less-active  during sleep
than they are during waking, but the opposite is
also True because, during sleep, the nervous
system is configured differently.

I do recall an energy-consumption study that
showed that sleeping energy-use was similar to
waking energy-use [about 20 watts] - but don't
quote me on this because I'm not able to cite
what I 'remember'.

The brain is always 'on' :-]

It's always taking care of our information-
processing needs.

Come to think of it, it's probably why, during
intense problem-solving periods, I've some-
times awakened after sleeping feeling that
I'd just 'run a marathon' - now 'sweaty', but
feeling 'exhausted' - like one does after
working hard, except without any aching
muscles. This was probably because I'd
crammed so much info in-there during the
preceding waking period, that my brain
was 'burning-rubber', integrating everything,
while I slept.

When this happens, if I can, I usually eat,
etc., and then go back to bed - double-
shift sleep :-]

ken [K. P. Collins]