Epilepsy

r norman rsnorman_ at _comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 11:18:46 EST 2003

On 9 Jun 2003 08:34:50 -0700, lili51578 at yahoo.com (Lia) wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>I am looking for some information about epilepsy, as I just got
>engaged to my boyfriend Kyle, who has epilepsy. It is not a subject
>that we talk about openly, I guess because he doesn't want me to worry
>or think that it will be a problem for us in the future. He takes
>medicine daily (Dilantin, among others) to prevent him from having a
>seizure, but I would have no idea what to do if he acutally had one. I
>don't even know what would trigger one of his seizures.
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Probably the best source of really good quality information is at
the U.S. National Library of Medicine MedLinePlus site:
http://www.medlineplus.gov/

Just search on Epilepsy and you will get a ton of links.  Of course,
the Epilepsy Foundation at http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/ is
another excellent starting place.

Most people with epilepsy live long, happy lives.  However, the best
source of information is your boyfriend (now your fiance). He (and his
family) can help you prepare in case he does have a seizure.  Of
course you should understand that there are all degrees of epilepsy,
some so mild that it really is not a significant issue.

In any event, I wish you the best!