Never mind

Kim kn.green at nospamvirgin.net
Mon Jun 9 15:23:44 EST 2003

Ken,
It would occur to me that the best way to get "adopted" by a group whose
research and interests were similar to yours, would be to approach them
with your ideas, and what you can do for them. Once in such a group,
publishing becomes much easier when you have the "right" names on the
papers (and I assume that getting your work published is a large goal to
you?).

I, of course, realise that you have probably done this many times before
and so far it has not been successful. I would therefore seriously suggest
that you present your ideas and work in a new fashion. One that presents
itself in a simple and highly accessible manner - I would imagine that many
people would give your work only a fleeting glance due to your status.
Therefore a simply summary/abstract with a nice clear flow type diagram
always works well, with greater detail later.

I would publish this on the web (which is very easy to do and, if needed, I
will assist) and include the address with a cover email to any researchers
whom you feel would be interested in your work.
Clearly state your interests and previous research and what you can do for
the lab along with the web page link. All in all try and take up as little
time as possible for the recipient researcher to grasp what you have done,
and what you want to continue to do. Hence a simple web page with a simple
abstract/summary and flow diagrams etc. would be best with the detailed
information later on, once their curiosity has increased.

Maybe you should ask to work as a research technician - certainly here in
the UK we have such people who carry out their own research and publish.
Remember only a tiny percentage of scientists will ever see this newsgroup,
and so I always feel the pro-active approach works best, so email away!

I do not know your history, and you have certainly been in "science" far
longer than I have, although my own career is highly conventional, but that
is the advice I would give you, without wanting to be patronising or
otherwise.

Perhaps the other researchers who do read these newsgroup postings would
add their comments/suggestions? I get the impression they would be
welcomed.

Thanks,
Kim

"KP_PC" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:Ii5Fa.196148