question about activated channels

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Wed Jun 11 06:37:39 EST 2003

news:MCvFa.936$3o3.59772 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> "BilZ0r" <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9397793D0D254BilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...
> | "KP_PC" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote in
> | @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
> |

> | > The difference is important because it's
> | > important to see the overall Continuity,
> | > which is in the "in-between" stuff.
> | >

> | Well of course theres an inbetween state,
> | the question is, does it have any function
> | activity. There most peopple would say no,
> | I'm guessing you would say yes?
>
> I say, "Never guess", but you lucked-out :-]
>
> When I said, "the overall Continuity, which
> is in the 'in-between' stuff", I was emphasiz-
> ing that the overall ionic conductance within
> the brain, in its mocroscopic flowing is
> continuously-tuned in a way that's depend-
> ent on the actuality of the 'in-between' stuff,
> but, of course, so is it dependent upon 100%
> of the ionic-gate repetoir.
>
> I've discussed the essence of this view
> repeatedly in the past, in particular, with
> respect to intermediate-term 'tuning' via
> ionic distributions which involve glia
> conductances, with respect to which glial
> contractile motility [Cited in AoK] actually
> 'adjusts' the microscopic structure of the
> neural Topology - sort of like a Wonder-
> ously-functional 'active-hydraulics sponge'.
>
> This literally 'adjusts' synaptic relationships
> so that the neural Topology can be 'tuned'
> with respect to whole 'classes' of 'memories'.

Then, Ken, why don't you couch this in the language of the bods? It has been
demonstrated that glial cells are not simply support cells but are actively
engaged in neural processes. Thus calcium waves can create a slow spreading
microglial activation with the subsequent release of agents that can impact
on neural conduction (il 1, ADNF, NO, TNF). Recent research into
schizophrenia reveals that part of the problem may lie in inadequate glial
processes thereby limiting synaptic efficacy. Astrocytes play a very
important role in "mopping up" excess glutamate and also providing the
essential antioxidant glutathione to neurons. The newly emerging view of
depression is that BDNF may play a critical role in initiating neurogenesis
in the dentate gyrus and certainly plays an important role in maintaining
synaptic integrity. Hence the noticeable decrease in hippocampal volume in
major depression and the various cognitive deficits that ensue with
prolonged depression.

That is the bridge you have to cross. Your demand that everyone understand
you in your terms has fallen on fallow ground for decades. Go back to the
books and map your ideas against current research, then you might get
somewhere. When in Rome, do as the Pope says or else. It's the same in
science, if you can't speak their language, they won't listen.

Your time is short, so hop to it. This is a major project that will take
many months and possibly years to achieve. It is also the only way you'll
get people to listen. Trust me, I'm always confusing people because I don't
speak their language. Not that I want to of course, don't give a shit if
people listen or not. Well, not always but you take my point which is if you
want to make a point then make it with a bloody big marker that everyone can
see.

Good luck,

John H.