Reprogramming

J Zijlstra jw53z at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 25 08:02:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:29:42 -0400, r norman <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:04:36 +0200, J Zijlstra <jw53z at xs4all.nl>
>wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm sure someone has posted something on this before but I didn't find
>>it.
>>
>>After reading
>>http://www.rand.org/publications/randreview/issues/rr.12.00/rrfall2000.pdf
>>
>>I couldn't get that question out of my mind. They stated the
>>following,
>>
>>Whatever the initial reason for
>>using drugs, the vast majority of
>>people addicted to drugs cannot
>>stop. “The reason for this is that
>>prolonged drug use changes the
>>brain in fundamental and longlasting
>>ways. In some sense, the
>>brain is actually rewired as a function
>>of drug use.” (page 4)
>>
>>So are drugs users able to mentally change in a positive way (Talking
>>about the tiny few instead of encouraging..)
>>
>>If this is true and I think that could be confirmed after 3 years of
>>research. Am I then able to say that we are able to 'rewire' our brain
>>in a positive sence?
>>

>The "wiring" of the brain is the pattern of synaptic connections
>between neurons.  This includes both the microanatomy of which
>specific neurons connect to which specific others and also to the
>details like the strength of each synaptic connection, although some
>people may interpret the notion of wiring to include only the
>connections, not the strengths.
So I'm right that I say I can influence the neural process?

>The specific web page you cite (the site you cite?) is almost three
>years old and refers to the well known phenomenon of "upregulation"
>and "downregulation" in the cell signaling machinery.  In this case,
>it refers to changes in synaptic strength, not to actually changes in
>connectivity.
Yes, but when I influence the upregulation and downregulation
(dopamine right? (Not really into it..))  I totally influence the
function of that part of the brain... The only difference I see in the
different parts of the brain are the way of communicating in small
scale..

>These connections have always been known to be quite plastic
>(changeable).  We "rewire" our brain with every experience, every time
>we learn something. Neurons are dynamic, living cells.  In other
>words, there is nothing magical or special or rewiring the brain.

I don't believe that, because if your influencing the communication
process you do rewire the brain right? And if your psychologically
changed your changed right? Isn't that a total change of the neural
processes?

>The real purpose of using a phrase like that is to indicate to people
>that the effects of drugs can far outlast the duration that the
>chemical actually remains in the body. If you are really straining to
>find someone who will tell you that abusing psychoactive drugs will
>rewire your brain to make you a better, wiser, and more caring
>individual, then you are indeed delusional.

Yes but it was just a source of inspiration I do understand the way it
is written trough, thanks.. But if I'm right, there should be a method
that allows your brain to psychologically change faster? And so giving
us the advantage of (ethically right or wrong) Rewire ourselfs...

I'm just having some clue's and probably AM missing some big facts but
I should be right somewhere...