Conductivity

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 27 06:21:20 EST 2003

It's not so clear-cut.

Any and all Learning enables a nervous system
to do stuff, using the 'same' energy throughput,
that it could not prior to the Learning.

The easiest case is to compare present-day
Science students with their counterparts
a couple of hundred years ago.

Both work hard, but present-day Students
can do stuff with the 'same' energy
expenditure, =in terms of problem-solving=,
that their historical counterparts could not do.

There's definitely a 'trade-off', though.

Present-day Students tend not to grasp
the 'big picture' - tend not to see fundamental
'big-ness'.

An example of the ramifications of such is
that, superficially, present-day Wars last
weeks, instead of years, but they tend
to 'simmer'-unresolved as in the Middle
East, and Korea, and, now, Iraq, and with
respect to other global 'angst' that's being
'dealt-with' via 'quickness' that never even
addresses the underpinning wellspring-
stuff - the Fundamentals.

Energy has been diverted into Learned
'expediences', at the cost of becoming
relatively 'blind' to the Big-Picture.

The same is True with respect to the
way 'specialization' occurs within 'modern'
Science - folks Learn their specializations,
but cannot See the Big-Picture.

In my own experience, I can do a lot of
work almost 'instantaneously' in Neuro-
science, but there's been a great-'cost'
in my 'personal-life' to attain that problem-
solving capacity.

So, with respect to individual nervous
systems, it's probably always in this
trade-off way.

With respect to Humanity as a whole,
however, it is clear-cut.

A Book Written enables all of Humanity
to Progress.

'Course, the Book must be read :-]

If you rephrase your question in terms
of Potential-Intelligence, it's also clear-
cut.

Potential-Intelligence and Actualized-
Intelligence are 'horses of a different
color' ["volitional diminishing-returns