Circadian cycles and the pineal gland:

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%
Tue Mar 4 00:36:57 EST 2003

The prior post still didn't say what I meant.

Folks in Neuroscience theorize, what they don't do enough of is
theorize with respect to 'big' behavioral questions. [The usual
theoretical approaches are with respect to molecular stuff ['genetic
bases' of behavior, or with pharmacological 'treatments'].

It's the province of our Science to theorize with respect to
whole-nervous-system function.

Folks say, "It can't be done" ...?

But it can. The approach is just not being taught.

My question is, why not?

ken

"Kenneth Collins" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%> wrote in
message
news:nhz8a.8081$Uy4.685619 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| After posting this, I realized that folks'd probably think, "Geese,
| what a dork!" :-]
|
| I wasn't trying to say, "Hey, look at me."
|
| I was trying to convey how easy it is to theorize in Neuroscience.
| Really, all it takes is the will to do it. That, and the
wherewithal
| to do it.
|
| The Neuroscience stacks are a Treasure trove. And theorization is
| inherently fun to do. But, since, doing it isn't in formal curicula
| in Neuroscience, theorization [cross-correlation and integration of
| experimental results] is being left undone.
|
| In what seemed to be a 'self-agrandizing' msg, I was trying to
| encourage folks to get involved in Neuroscience theorization.
|
| But the 'self-agrandizing' stuff is probably all that came-across,
| eh?
|
| "Damned if I do and damned if I don't."
|
| "Oh well."
|
| But Neuroscience theorization should have it's place with courses
in
| every Neuroscience curriculum. There are huge benefits to it, not
the
| least of which is that it facilitates cross-specialization
| 'fertilization' within Neuroscience - get's folks talking about
stuff
| that they'd not, otherwise know about - lets folks understand how
| their work dovedails with the work of others, and how they can both
| give and receive.
|
| Neuroscience 'wins' when folks get together to see each others'
work
| throu one anothers' ongoing foci and understanding voids.
|
| Formal courses in Neuroscience Theory can bring all of this about.
|
| If there's any interest in setting up a course series in
Neuroscience
| Theory - anywhere - I'd like to consult - offer what I've learned
| 'epistomological'-wise.
|
| Too much to hope for?
|
| ken
|
| "Kenneth Collins" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%> wrote in
| message
| news:9L48a.5914$Uy4.494754 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| | If I could afford to, I'd pursue my hypothesis, stated in my
prior
| | two posts in this thread, by looking up, and reading:
| |
| |
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Display&DB=PubMed
| |
| | Neuroendocrinol Lett 2002 Oct-Dec;23(5-6):442 Related Articles,
| Links
| |
| | BOOK REVIEW: Csilla Ruzsas and Bela Mess "Maturation and Aging of
| | Neuroendocrine Functions. The role of monoaminergic neurons and
of
| | the pineal gland".
| |
| | Dorner G.
| |
| | Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Humboldt University
| Medical
| | School (Charite), Berlin, Germany.
| |
| | Publication Types:
| | News
| |
| | PMID: 12500168 [PubMed - in process]
| |
| | I found, on PubMed, a lot of other "good-starting-olace" refs
with
| | respect to the hypothesis.
| |
| | My old method was to look-up, read them, read selected refs in
| their
| | bibliographies, continuously 'whittling'.
| |
| | Guess, these days, I'm either 'too old' or too poor for my old
| method
| | :-]
| |
| | ken
| |
| | "Kenneth Collins" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net_NOSPAM> wrote in
| | message
| | news:OH47a.1356$Uy4.124938 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| | | Hi John.
| | |
| | | "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
| | | news:lm47a.416$0k1.13060 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| | | connection to
| | pineal.
| | | Talk
| | |
| | | Yeah. 'Tortured' routes are one of the hallmarks I look for
when
| | | hypothesizing about the sort of functional switch-over
| | [redirection]
| | | that I discussed in my prior reply. There's an 'incompleteness'
| in
| | | their relative mapping-elegance that correlates with
phylogenetic
| | | 'work-in-progress' - 'sticks out' like a 'sore thumb'.
| | |
| | | Cheers, John, ken
| | |
| | |