Theoretical neurological diseases

Thu Mar 13 16:25:00 EST 2003

Your questions are huge - requiring massive study with repsect to
their particulars, which do not all reflect physical reality within
nervous systems. But I';; comment with respect to one part of your
query below.

"Radium" <glucegen at excite.com> wrote in message
news:464c821f.0303131246.16e18257 at posting.google.com...
| Hi:
|
| I hope I am posting this to the correct newsgroup.
|
| I have some questions regarding the CNS:
|
| What symptoms would I experience areas of my cerebral cortex (and
| cerebullum) dealing with voluntary movement (including movement of
| speech muscles), balance, coordination, mental functions
| (consciousness, awareness, attention, memory etc.) were to suddenly
| and totally lose their supply of calcium for a week? [consider the
| rest of my body to recieve its normal supply of calcium]
|
| What symptoms would I experience if the arteries in same areas of
my
| brain were to suddenly and completely constrict (vasospasm
resembling
| migraine) for about 2 hours? [visual cortex included]
|
| What auditory symptoms would I experience if the "hearing area"
| [auditory cortex?] of my brain were to suddenly and completely lose
| its supply of oxygen, glucose, carbon dioxide, and minerals for
about
| a day? [lets say the rest of brain remains unaffected] and [lets
also
| say during this, all the blood vessels (arteries, veins, arteioles,
| venules, and cappilaries) in my brain's "hearing region" dilate
| rapidly and completely in a synchronized manner]

There's not just one "auditory area", so your symptoms would be a
'mixture' of what becomes, probably permanently, lost due to oxygen
deprivation lasting more than ~ four hours. Unless there was
something like relatively-rapid deep colling involved, neural tissue
deprived of oxygen just 'disintegrates' and dies.

But you'd experience some sort of "auditory" activation because the
deficits you outlined spare many areas involved in audition. You'd
probably not be able to use auditory information consciously though.

That's it for my "2-cents".

ken