An example of mad science or bad science journalism

Thu Mar 13 23:07:34 EST 2003

"Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:nfaca.62$gj4.3329 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| Go to www.newscientist.com and take a look at the article about:
~implanting
| a microchip to do the job of the hippocampus~.
|
| It made me check to see if it was April 1 already! Sadly, it was
not.
| :-|

"World's first brain prosthesis revealed", by Duncan Graham-Rowe

If there's total hippocampal loss, they might get some results with
such an "implant", but using it as a prosthesis will, at best, be
extremely-weak in comparison to an organically-intact nervous system.

Quoting from the article: "No one understands how the hippocampus
encodes information."

Ho, ho, ho :-]

The hippocampus =doesn't= "encode" information. It's a
supersystem-configuration mechanism. as is discussed in AoK, Ap5.

Quoting from the article: "The work was funded by the US National
Science Foundation, Office of Naval Research and Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency." ...?

Because there's no chance that it can work robustly [restore 'normal'
functionality] within the biology, and because there's so little
actual application for such an 'implant', and because the 10-year
development cycle is, well, so inherently costly - even if there was
use for such an 'implant', it seems to me that this "implant"-stuff
is a deliberate pile-of-red-herring 'hoax', and that the actual
'goal' for it is to be part of a larger 'project' to create a
'computer' that works like the brain.

I gave folks access to the design for such 20 years ago, and wouldn't
be surprised if it's my work that got them started.

All this, and nothing for the Children ...?

'Weapons systems' supplanting the understanding upon which the
Survival of Humanity depends.

That's my Analysis.

K. P. Collins