An example of mad science or bad science journalism

Allen L. Barker alb at datafilter.com
Sun Mar 16 14:53:46 EST 2003

KP-PC wrote:

> "Allen L. Barker" <alb at datafilter.com> wrote in message
> news:3E74266C.4C048A8A at datafilter.com...
> |

> | Here's another article on the research:
> |    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2843099.stm
> |
> | They say the research is to be presented to a neural
> | engineering conference in Capri, Italy, next week.  Maybe
> | get the proceedings.
> |
> | And rockets will never work in a vacuum, because there is
> | nothing to push against, etc.
>
> With the brain, it's an entirely-different 'playing-field' because
> the brain is a living, ever-changing system architecture, which
> ever-changing-ness derives in neural-activation experience.
>
> Part of this ever-changingness is with respect to the
> relatively-recently [a couple of years back] hippocampal
> 'neurogenesis' stuff. The hippocampus is continually being
> replensihed from a stem cell 'factory' - hard to duplicate in
> silicon.
>
> So, even if a 'robotics' thing can be engineered, to replicate
> 'normal' biological function, it'd have to be able to not only
> duplicate the ever-changing-ness that derives in activation
> experience, and, somehow, duplicate all of the prior biological
> ever-changing-ness that derives in the prior neural activation
> experience.
>
> It's the latter consideration that is the 'show-stopper - because,
> while the rest of the brain has done it the normal way, the
> 'robotics' thing, even if it can duplicate 'normal' biological
> function, has not.

I have not read their actual article, so I don't know the details
of what all they have done or claimed to have done.  It might be
an interesting article.  The brain is very adaptive.  Rather than being
a *drawback* to neural prosthesis, that is an advantage.  If you get
the closed-loop feedback right, the brain can adapt to many things.
Just as it can adapt to various brain insults, etc.

> So an overly-crude analogy with respect to introducing the 'robotics'
> thing is trying to repair a computer with parts from an entirely
> different generation of computers. This can be accomplished, but, at
> best, the result will be a kludge, requiring a lot of work-arounds,
> and the end result will have a lot of performance problems that a
> 'normal' system is not subject to.
>
> The result, with respect to applications to the brain, will be a
> drastic altering of what it is that the person whose brain it is will
> experience.
>
> That's complete 'failure'.

Not if the alternative is a person's death or complete disability.

> I stand on my Analysis, posted in my prior reply in this thread, that
> this 'robotics' stuff is being passed-off as something that it
> actually is not - that it is actually part of a much-larger program
> to build a 'machine' that attempts to 'implements the brain'.

I'm sure there are very active research programs there, both open
and classified.  Similarly for neural prosthesis.