Long term anti depressant treatment: danger?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mom
Wed Mar 19 18:07:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote:

>New one on me, comments anyone?

>http://www.alphagalileo.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=readRelease&Releaseid=12959
>Can Long-term Treatment With Antidepressant Drugs Worsen The Course Of
>Depression?  For further information, please contact:

  IAN: Interesting. A few possibly relevant comments: in raising
  serotonin (5HT) levels, antidepressants cause a downregulation
  (ie, a reduction) of 5HT receptors. A plausible hypothesis might
  be that over time, downregulation might counteract any uplifting
  effect of an antidepressant-induced 5HT increase. The brain tries
  to maintain its natural state, and downregulation should tend to
  diminish the artificially increased 5HT signal. Consider that
  FDA approval is usually based on human studies that examine use
  over only a few months. Cocaine could likely pass FDA approval
  as an antidepressant based on such short-term efficacy standards.
  However, as Freud found out, short- and long-term effects differ!

  Consider also the post I made a few months ago citing studies that
  found the SSRI Paxil (paroxetine) causes atrophy of the thalamus,
  which is in a region (HPA axis) where a lot of the downregulation
  occurs. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that common sense
  would tend to suggest that long-term exposure to any substance
  that causes atrophy of a brain region might have negative results.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3d64dfd6.218276288%40news.erols.com

  OBE Explanation? See: http://iangoddard.net/paranorm.htm