a question

Væ§ølis VaeSolis at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:34:47 EST 2003

"Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:Vndea.179$aG3.4988 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "Væ§ølis" <VaeSolis at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:A46ea.45120$_F2.3839525 at news1.east.cox.net...
> > i was wondering if anyone could explain to me what may cause the
> > psychological feeling of being enormous and miniscule simultaneously. i
> have
> > experienced this feeling and have come across it described in
literature,
> so
> > i am curious as to any possible causes of this phenomenon. any insight
is
> > appreciated.
>
> Perhaps there is an anomalous abscence of inhibition of a just a few
neurons
> that play a key role in integrating relative size of the body-self.(?)
>
> At least the feeling does not hide - but highlight - the truth that we are
> enormous relative to e.g. atoms, bacteria, and mice, but are miniscule in
> comparison to elephants earths and galaxies (and perhaps infinitely
> insignificant on the scale of universes %-).
>
> An exploratory scan could in the end be worthwhile _if_ the feeling is a
> problem and if there is a cause of the feeling large enough in size or
> otherwise detectable an NMR scan or by any other means of medical
> mind-monitoring.
>
> _If_ it is a bothersome and persistent feeling, I suggest you try to get a
> referral to see a neurologist.

thanks peter, the feeling has not been a problem at all, and has coincided
at times with deep meditative states. i have heard this phenomenon exists at
times with other alter states of consciousness, particularly with the use of
tryptamines. as a matter of fact, it may have been TiHKAL where i found the
blurb referring to this occurrence. it really doesn't warrant much concern
in my book, but the curiosity overwhelms me.

~Væ§ølis~