Efferents for raphe nuclei

Peter F fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Sun Mar 23 09:31:37 EST 2003

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:oEefa.149$OZ6.11085 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> I'm trying to establish projections to the raphe nuclei, both inhibitory
and
> excitatory, and not having much luck. I suspect the pvn, hippocampus,
> anterior cingulate and orbitofrontals.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>

> John.

Hi John,

Here is a summarizing quote from Gray's Anatomy 1980 edition:

"The reticular core of the brainstem, and its attendant cell aggregations,
have reciprocal connexions with all major parts of the CNS, and in
accordance with this , influences behavioural activities ranging from the
most elementary to the most complex."
---
According to The Human Brain Coloring Book(1989 edition): these nuclei have
dendrites in close proximity to small blood vessels, and so, serotonin
synthesis may be controlled or triggered (or both) by neurohormones carried
in these vessels.
(Apropos which, you might have read the book by Richard Bergland "The Fabric
Of Mind", written in Melbourne, that puts the case for seeing the brain as
somewhat of a gland).

Sorry not to have any more specific info to contribute.

Am a bit curious about what it is that you want to understand (or have
confirmed).

Personally I am finished (these days) with combing/ploughing through
research reports and the like, because I did find there were sufficient
evidence, and sufficiently strong trends of academic interpretation, for me
to with confidence conclude and *try* to contrive what I wanted to conclude
and vaguely aimed and hoped to be able to contrive (or somehow concEPTually
grasp;).