K.P. Collins

Sun Mar 23 22:21:39 EST 2003

I stand on what I've posted. The sorrowful thing is that everything
in your thoughtful post =is= verifiably-false. [I allow for the
possibility that you're not aware of all that's entailed, and, at any
rate, 'condemn' no one. Just the opposite is what's in my 'heart'.]

K. P. Collins

"DAN" <umogbor1 at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote in message
news:b5lq9a$hhr$1 at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca...
|     You seem to harbour resentment towards those who have received
formal
| education and are perhaps successfully working in the field. I
refer you to
| your comments in a reply about efferent neruons and the raphe
nuclei:
| "Why I've been so 'pissed-off' is that doing this work almost
literally
| killed me, and Pros are "ho-humming" it, while I remain 'unable' to
recover,
| but am 'sinking' under the 'weight' I carry while 'waiting' for
'permission'
| for the work to be generally communicated."
|     I find it unfortunate that you are generalizing the efforts of
academics
| eveywhere. This is an unfair and unjustified claim. Even if you
have had
| some experience with either students or professionals who aren't
serious
| about their studies, your sample cannot accurately respresent the
| population. Perhaps you could apply the Law of Large Numbers here
and
| clearly see the error of your ways, (as the sample size increase
the mean of
| the sample is closer to the mean of the population).
|     You also imply that the struggles you have experienced are not
typical
| to those of others in the pursuit of knowledge. You cannot be
farther from
| the truth. Many post secondary and graduate students are all to
familiar
| with personal and financial struggles that can result from their
academic
| and life pursuits. A prime example is the debt many sutdents leave
their
| studies with thanks to student loans.
|     You are "pissed off" (for once you've abandoned your pedantic
style)
| that you are "waiting for permission". You seem to forget or
overlook that
| professionals do not simply think of an idea, do their research and
then get
| published. This process is or can be painstakingly long, and is
ONLY
| possible if the IRB (institutional review board) approves their
research to
| proceed at their particular organization. Publishing will only
occur if the
| publisher of that particular journal feels that the article is
suitable and
| is conducted in a valid manner. Many educational institutions have
"publish
| or perish" policies placed upon their professors to help increase
| productivity but also can have adverse effects to the quality of
work. So
| the next time you decide to make unjustified claims about a subject
or group
| of people, please familiarize yourself with the subject and try to
maintain
| some form of an objective basis.
|     The initial comment of this subject, "Please stop dumping on
this forum"
| is most likely in reference to your hard done by stories that often
| accompany your replies. John H. simply asked for information on
effernet
| neurons and the raphe nuclei, not your life story and your naive
opinion on
| formally trained academics. You don't realize that we are all
trying to
| reach a common goal, a higher understanding of the human form to
improve
| quality of life, and the primary method to do this is through
education and
| research.
|     In your closing statement on "the folks in neuroscience" who
have to
| "honor their responsibilities to the folks who actually fund their
| research", you overlook the common goal of research. It's a well
known fact
| that the tax dollars paid by individuals to the government, yes
that's right
| Ken, even the formally trained researchers you despise so much pay
their
| taxes as well, fund research.  I'm assuming that you mean these tax
payers
| are the "folks" who the researchers are not upholding their
responsibilities
| to. The researcher striving to gain a better understanding of the
body
| throught their experiments would ideally get published. The
understanding of
| the body  that results from the research is ultimately a
contribution that
| validates the cost to the government and indirectly to the tax
payer through
| taxation. Well worth the cost.
|     In closing, I recommend that you:
| 1) Find an appropriate newsgroup more appropriate for some of your
opinions.
| I would find it hard to believe that there isn't a newsgroup about
the war
| where perhaps your "To the citizenry of..." comments would be
better suited.
| 2) Please limit you response to the topic at hand. We do not need
to know
| about the termoil of your life or your past struggles, or how
"Traditional"
| methods are being withheld from you. We have all encountered
hardships in
| our academic pursuits, and consequently we can all sympathisize to
a certain
| degree, it is not necessary to tell an individual inquiring about
the raphe
| nuclei your life story.
| 3) Try to maintain a style of writing with some kind of grammatical
form.
| While you might interpret this comment as me simply not
understanding