neuroscience I/V plots and the K+ reversal potential

Mon Mar 24 00:33:56 EST 2003

Oh yeah - the 'gates', themselves perform [alter their
'conformations'] in accord with their local ionic concentrations
[this's where the "3-D energydynamics" stuff got it's start with
respect to biological considerations, BTW, back in the mid-1970s [I
recognized its stuff because of work I 'd done in my Physics 'hobby'
[if it matters]]

ken

news:Fuwfa.26448$S%3.1530447 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| The way I see it is that it's due to 'resting' background ionic
| concentrations being maintained homeostatically - because it's so,
| just so much variance can happen due to =any= 'pump' or gating
| 'event' - because the ionic dynamics 'want' to be at their
| 'set-points', overall - so a gating 'event' greates an ionic
'force'
| that 'upsets the homeostasis teakettle', and the homeostasis
becoming
| locally-imbalanced 'reacts' with an opposing ionic 'force' that's
| proportional to the divergence from homeostasis due to the gating
| 'event' - this reaction ionic 'force' reverses the gate's
| flow-potential [and the actual ionic flow within it].
|
| This way enables extraordinarily-powerful overall integration
that's
| at a 'deeper level' than, for instance, synaptic dynamics.
[includes
| all of the neural glia considerations that are briefly addressed in
| AoK and which I've discussed in long-former posts here in b.n.]
|
| This can be tested by playing with background ionic concentrations
| in-vitro.
|
| Cheers, Chrissy, ken
|
| |"chrissy" <chrismin at bigpond.com> wrote in message
| news:5fe998a3.0303232039.4d88fb39 at posting.google.com...
| | I was recently looking at an I/V plot for K+ current in a neuron,
| and
| | the plot was a straight line with an x-intercept (zero current)
at
| | about -45mV.  I was told the K+ reversal potential is
about -80mV,