Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Thu Mar 27 09:39:09 EST 2003

Recently a friend of mine starting working in a dementia ward for severely
demented individuals. She was advised by other staff that to be careful
after sundown because many of the patients become violent and extremely
difficult to control. I'm mystified by this, just wondering if anyone else
has noticed this in severe dementia and\or if they have any ideas re the
same. I did note a few months ago a report stating that bright light therapy
proved beneficial for some dementia patients but this doesn't account for
the above observations.

John H.