Efferents for raphe nuclei

Thu Mar 27 23:45:11 EST 2003

If you want to see some pertinent stuff, get some volunteer cigarette
smokers who'll agree to undergo stadard scanning techniques whild
doing a long-term study of the effects of stopping and starting

Shouldn't have too much trouble finding volunteers. Almost everybody
who smokes wants to 'quit', but almost nobody who quits wants to
stay-quit. [Of course, Ethics require anyone who does want to
stay-quit to be allowed to do so. Ask them to come back into the
study if they decide to start smoking again.]

Anyway, there're profound correlations to what seems to be your focus
[below] that occur =dynamically=, including a chemically-mediated
affective-"inversion" - all of which should show up in standard
scanning techniques.

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:T1Ega.322$B34.12497 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| Oh yes, I enjoy your spin on things neurologic. Some obviously
don't, some
| obviously can't see past the humorous jibes to appreciate that
there is
| considerably more than just linguistic fun going on, some obviously
| their heads so far up their arse they can only see they own shitty
| perspective.
| "Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
| news:yjvfa.122$WJ.4967 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| > "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
| > news:Ldkfa.310$OZ6.14963 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| >

| > You seem somewhat tentative (IMO needlessly so) in your
opposition to this
> [...]
| > strategy available.
| >
| > Our "AEVASIVE" (~= neurosis capable) brains have partly evolved
as an
| > augmentation of states of such 'selective supression of self'.
| Interesting given that in severe depression individuals can lose
their sense
| of self.
| > Presumably repression is mostly and primarily carried-out by
| > feedback circuits -- the less rapidly activated and much more
| active
| > endoopiates (endorphins, enkephalins dynorphins, etcetera) being
at the
| far
| > other end of our available range of such 'trauma tackling'
| > neurotransmitters and modulators.
| GABA at a general level, I'm more interested in dopaminergic
aspects of
| this; with emphasis on D1 - D2 balance.
| > _Potentially_ pain/distress/flight or fight motivating signals,
are of
| > course most primarily glutaminergic in kind.
| > And since, in the internal presence of an abundance or powerful
| > (neurological) pressure of such potentially distress-motivating
| > repression is seldom perfect, and in fact in many cases quite
| it
| > should not be a surprise that the supply and 'active service' of
| > (whose phylogenetically original role might plausibly have been
to trigger
| > feeding behaviour whenever an individual's "total situation"
offered a
| > corresponding opportunity) might eventually be "set back" (so to
| >
| > An other important effect of repression (given the kind of
| > signaling that is being neurologically repressed) is the
rerouting and
| > motivational reassignment of the glutaminergic signals in
| >
| > This "rerouting" occurs (is possible) as a result of neural
sprouting (in
| > combination with suitable anatomical and microanatomical sites of
| proximity
| > where functional connections might be sprouted) and by the fact
that both
| > deprivation and hypotrophic effects in a down-stream direction
relative to
| > sites of suppression can cause an unmasqueing of normally
| > pre-existing (as if "probabilistically ontogenetically offered";)
| > normally (or, rather, ideally) out-competed, functional
| No, I suspect "rerouting" arises through changes in neuromodulatory
| functions - Da, 5ht, nore.
| > It is not often clearly recognized, that mankind is to a very
| > extent psychobehaviourally co-motivated by (primarily
| signals
| > from/by neurons that insidiously as if "reverberate" (or
"remember") the
| > individual's past environmental stressors (stressors of slowly
| as
| > well as rapidly traumatic type).
| >
| > As you might know, I think such stressors _deserve_ an
alternative label -