Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Fri Mar 28 06:46:13 EST 2003

Just now a friend of mine advised that in nursing homes vitamin D deficiency
is a real problem(think this was on the Aus sci program Catalyst just last
week). Vitamin D maintains tranforming growth factor beta which helps
modulates the immune system. In dementia patients interleukin 1 is usually
if not always elevated in the brain, tgf b can play an important role in
modulating the release of il 1. il1 plays a key component in the stress
response vis a vis my previous comments re nore. Some concordance with your
remarks re sensory input and subsequent perceptual disorientation.

Your comments re a totally dark room are interesting, supporting your idea
that low light and subsequent sensory loss may initiate a confusion state,
leading to anxiety ... . Interesting point. Thanks.

Light therapy probably relates to tgf b more than circadian jazz, still
can't see how it could help in relation to this particular issue.

My friend in the nursing home advised that yes in the night these patients
really do go on a bender. Strange thing.

John H.

news:3E841E89.AF3E7298 at ozemail.com.au...