Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night

Fri Mar 28 15:40:16 EST 2003

If what you say were 'all there is', then the only 'therapy'
necessary would be to assure that  patients' nutritional intakes were
rigorously-balanced - vitamin pills would 'cure' all 'dementia'.

Of course there can be inbred metabolic deficits, and at least some
of these could be 'show-stoppers' [until retroactive gene therapy
might address such].

But the biggest 'problem' remains the absence of understanding with
respect to the way nervous systems actually work, on the parts of the
'helpers'.

As a result of the 'ignorance' they carry into the 'therapeutic'
setting, the 'helpers' fail with respect to, "First, do no harm."

They 'intervene' in ways that only impose more dis-order within
nervous systems whose main 'problem' is that they have descended into
the dis-order that is what relatively-high TD E/I is.

What's necessary is to develop treatement strategies that focus upon
re-establishing internal order - that, in effect, temporarily
externalize TD E/I-miniization.

It's why I'm not actually 'sorry' that during the course of my
working to bring NDT's stuff forward, 'ignorant' folks reacted to my
efforts by throwing me into a 'psychiatric' institution, and twice
imprisoning me. As a result, I was able to study the dynamics that
occur within such places first hand.

In all three instances, all there was was 'ignorance' posing as
'authority', doing more harm than good.

If anyone wants to actually address the 'problem', =this= is where
they must actually begin.

It's 'humanity' as a whole that's certifiably 'insane', but which,
through 'blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that derives in
noting more than repetition of merely-'familiar' consensual 'rules',
declares itself to be 'sane', and woe to anyone who tells it plain,
that the "emperor has no clothes".

And it's 'hilarious' - NDT has been out-there for decades already,
and all folks've done with respect to it, in ways that're inversely
correlated to individuals' adherence to 'coersed-consensus' stuff, in
'move away from'.

It's all 'inside-out, upside-down, and backward' with respect to
Truth, but who cares? "We've got all of our so-and-so's saying
such-and-such, and we're safe in our understanding, as long as we
look to such."

And 'the beast', "Abstract Ignorance" [ the absence of understanding
of how nervous systems process information via 'blindly'-automated TD
E/I-minimization within nervous systems that, nevertheless, do
process information via 'blindly-automated TD E/I-minimization] is
'rolling on the floor laughing.

It's got so many 'helpers' - so many folks who work with-it to
sustain the dis-order that is Ignorance, why shouldn't it 'laugh'?

I 'cry', though. I 'cry'. There exists no greater Tragedy - that
Humans Love ['move toward'] Ignorance, and Hate ['move away from']
Understanding - even imposing such upon the Children, in ways that,
literally, constitute sacrificing them to 'the beast'.

I 'cry'.

"Still it moves."

K. P. Collins

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:mwWga.236$Sa5.8255 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> [...]
stress
| response vis a vis my previous comments re nore. Some concordance
with your
| remarks re sensory input and subsequent perceptual disorientation.
|
| Your comments re a totally dark room are interesting, supporting
your idea
| that low light and subsequent sensory loss may initiate a confusion
state,
| leading to anxiety ... . Interesting point. Thanks.
|
| Light therapy probably relates to tgf b more than circadian jazz,
still
| can't see how it could help in relation to this particular issue.
|
| My friend in the nursing home advised that yes in the night these
patients
| really do go on a bender. Strange thing.
|
| John H.
|

| "Larry Brash" <lbrash at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
| news:3E841E89.AF3E7298 at ozemail.com.au...
| > "John H." wrote:
| > >
| > > Recently a friend of mine starting working in a dementia ward
for
| severely
| > > demented individuals. She was advised by other staff that to be
careful
| > > after sundown because many of the patients become violent and
extremely
| > > difficult to control. I'm mystified by this, just wondering if
anyone
| else
| > > has noticed this in severe dementia and\or if they have any
ideas re the
| > > same. I did note a few months ago a report stating that bright
light
| therapy
| > > proved beneficial for some dementia patients but this doesn't
account
| for
| > > the above observations.
| >
| > This phenomenon occurs in delirium, e.g. post-op delirium, DTs
etc.
| > There is always a clear worsening in the evening. Delirious
people seem
| > almost lucid in the daytime and off the planet at night. 15-20%
of
| > general hospital patients are delirious at any point in time.
| >
| > It seem to be due to the reduced sensory (mainly visual) input
that
| > occurs at sunset. The degree of reduction in light between full
day
| > light and a well light room at night is actually massive (at
least
| > hundred fold difference). A dimly light room is the worse. A
totally
| > dark room is actually better.
| >
| > Of course, the intact brain copes with this easily, but the
impaired
| > brain (i.e. delirium) does not cope and starts to experience
sensory
| > distortions (illusions) and hallucinations (mainly visual).
Disturbed