Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night

KP-PC k.p.collins at
Sat Mar 29 00:37:01 EST 2003

"Dave Bird" <dave at> wrote in message
news:v4N3ZvA4yJh+EweA at
| In
article<YMQga.28528$ja4.1945937 at>,
| KP-PC <k.p.collins at> writes:
| >The premise is that the subjects are so TD E/I(up) 'stressed' that
| >they're 'afraid' to fully give themselves over to sleep.
| >Course, you specified "profound dementia", and I don't really know
| >such entails from your perspective. [8<..]
| >Basically, it's just interanl cycling of "supersystem
| >that's become dis-integrated because prolonged TD E/I(up) has been
| >endured. Such feeds-back into itself because the TD
| >mechanisms' functioning becomes increasingly 'abstract' as they
| >for any means to achieve TD E/I(down) with respect to
| >the prolonged TD E/I(up).
|                ^^^^^^\^^^
|                     Excuse my ignorance, but this acronym stands

Sorry - cross-posted inadvertantly - I usually post in
bionet.neuroscience 'only'.

"TD E/I" is shorthand for the Topologically-Distributed ratio of
Excitation to Inhibition. In theoretical work I've done, I've proven
that nervous systems are structurally ordered throughout their entire
extents to do only one thing, minimize TD E/I.

Behavior, cognition and affect are produced as by-products of this
underpinning biological 'goal', to the degree that it is, in fact,

Cheers, Dave, ken