Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night

Peter F fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Sun Mar 30 00:49:16 EST 2003

Just a side-comment:
Dark-skinned people are more fragile a far as lack of sun-light and a
subsequent vitamin D deficiency is concerned.

Fair-skinned people are better adapted (more sensitive to the sun-light
there is to soak up) to a sun starved existence. And they normally go brown
when exposed to sunlight during the summer.

[Besides blondness made the ancestors of Nothern Europeans that began to
look 'bland', or better, began to blend in (being less visible) against a
snowy background.
That is, as far as natural selection pressures in general has anything to do
with it. ]

For related reasons I would suspect that dark-skinned people are slightly
less 'neurochemically equipped' to live in polar regions.

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:OXiha.256$1h6.12035 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> The story on vitamin D deficiency. Somewhat alarmist but important to
note.
> This is from the excellent science program in Aus: Catalyst. We seem to be
> good at that.
>

> John H.
>

> http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s805444.htm
> "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
> news:4niha.255$1h6.12990 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> > Particularly significant given the Out of Africa Theory currently in
vogue
> > and well substantiated by paleanthropological, linguistic and genetic
> data.
> > Emerging from sunny Southern Africa approx 120,000 years ago, it is
> > estimated we were in Europe by circa 60,000 years ago. Thus our diurnal
> > variations may be more attuned to that previous sunny climate and subtle
> > variations ensue ... .
> >
> > John H.
> > "Wayne Alan Simon" <ariess at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:lSbha.71399$d15.34079 at fe06.atl2.webusenet.com...
> > > Many biological systems are effected by daylight or lack thereof.
Some