Equipment for the deaf

External Network Error peer-error at
Sun Mar 30 21:39:40 EST 2003

I am planning to design a "central" hearing aid for the deaf. This
works by stimulating correct portions of the auditory cortex to
produce perception of the desired sound.

I haven't yet decided which medium of stimulation to use. I have heard
of electrical stimulation of the visual cortex for blind people. Major
drawback of electricity is electroporation and generation of excessive
heat -- which scar brain tissue and thus make this method useless.
Scarred brain tissue = dead brain tissue. Dead tissue does not respond
to stimulation of any type.

I have a safer design in mind. One which uses black light to stimulate
neurons. Black light is violet light almost reaching "ultra". Unlike
high-frequency UV, this low-frequency UV light does not pose any
threat to body tissues.

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,