Evolution and Depression: one for Peter F's linguistic playpen

Thu May 1 11:10:33 EST 2003

Hi John,

Is there an echo in here?

The abstracts stuff reflects more of what's been in AoK all along.

The "mismatches" are 'just' 'instances' of TD E/I(up).

Seeing them this way [along with, of course, still continuing
Living], allows one to see the direction in which one must 'move',
and, if there's just a =lot= of work entailed, to understand [AoK.
Ap7] that "the grapes are not sour" - they're 'just hard to reach'.

Understanding this last stuff allows one to procede with the 'heavy
lifting' entailed.

Cheers, John, ken [K. P. Collins]

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:3eb11cfb at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| An Evolutionary Theory of Unipolar Depression
| as an Adaptation for Overcoming Constraints of the Social Niche
| http://biology.unm.edu/Biology/pwatson/public_html/dp1.htm
|
| We outline a new theoretical model of the evolutionary adaptiveness
of minor
| and major unipolar depression. According to our social navigation /
social
| niche change model, the evolved function of depression is the
analysis and
| eradication of a severe socially imposed mismatch between the
depressive's
| capacities and opportunities for fitness-enhancing activity, where
the
| constraints responsible for the mismatch have a broad or even
pervasive
| basis in the individual's social network. Minor depression, which
we
| operationally define as a level of depression that can be
intentionally
| hidden from social partners (and often is), optimizes the mind in
several
| ways for (1) identifying possible mismatch-reducing revisions of
the
| individual's socioeconomic niche and (2) planning active
negotiating tactics