Boston Globe article from page A1

Fri May 2 02:17:04 EST 2003

I could not post to sci.psychology.

"Allen L. Barker" <alb at datafilter.com> wrote in message
news:b8sojb$srj$1 at slb2.atl.mindspring.net...

| [Here is an interesting article that brings out some of the
| ethical issues, even as it downplays the currently existing
| technology and the current human rights abuse victims of the
| covert testing and application of the technology.]
|

| Some fear loss of privacy as science pries into brain

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/121/nation/Some_fear_loss_of_privac
y_as_science_pries_into_brain+.shtml

| By Carey Goldberg, Globe Staff, 5/1/2003
|
| Using magnetic resonance imaging machines that detect the ebb and
flow
| of brain activity, researchers have become so good at peering into
the
| workings of the human mind that their work is raising a new and
deeply
| personal ethical concern: brain privacy.

What? Folks're going to do stuff to each other that's worse than the
stuff folks already do to each other? :-]

| One study of white students found that although they expressed no
| conscious racism, the seat of fear in their brains still fired up
more
| when they looked at unfamiliar black faces than at unfamiliar white
| faces.

I'll comment on this study below, where additional [necessary]
information is given.

| Another recent imaging study reported that certain parts of the
| brain work harder when a person is lying than when telling the
truth,
| raising the prospect of a brain-based lie detector.

The TD E/I(up) Consequences of 'moving away from' Truth - as I've
discussed, these can be read directly from 'body language'.

So what's the 'big deal'?

Folks don't know, yet, that this stuff can be read directly from body
language - so folks 'rely'-in routine 'moving away from' Truth -
which, as I've been discussing all along, is the main thing that
imbues Humanity's existence with Savagery and it's attendant Misery.
[Truth's one map discussion - 'moving away from' Truth compounds
complexity within one's living. To the degree of such, one is reduced
to 'treading water' - unable to actually do anything but sustain the
'illusion' inherent in one's former 'moving away from' Truth.]

| A marketing research company is already starting to use the
machines
| to gauge consumers' unconscious preferences by looking at the
pattern
| of brain activity as they respond to products or messages.

'marketing' has =always= been intrusive in this way, even before
'marketing' was given a name.

| Though brain scientists are nowhere near reading minds, their
mounting
| success at mapping brains is sparking a discussion that echoes
recent
| debate about preserving the privacy of people's genes. The issues
of
| brain privacy, however, hold the potential for even more heat, say
| scientists and ethicists who are beginning to address them.
|
| ''Everybody's worried about genetic privacy, but brain privacy is
| actually much more interesting,'' said Steven E. Hyman, Harvard
| University's provost and a neuroscientist.
|
| The need for discussing brain privacy is urgent, said Arthur
| L. Caplan, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for
| Bioethics. ''If you were to ask me what the ethical hot potato of
this
| coming century is, I'd say it's new knowledge of the brain, its
| structure, and function.'' Most people feel a much greater sense of
| privacy about their brains than their genes, Caplan and other
| ethicists say. Genes play critical but complex roles in what people
| become, while ''your brain is more associated with you,'' Caplan
said.

| Brain-scanning is too new and imperfect to have engendered
real-life
| tales of invasion of brain privacy, but controversy is easy to
| imagine. What if a court, a potential employer, or a suspicious
spouse
| wants to scan an individual's brain for telltale signs of something
| she would prefer not be known or something the individual may not
even
| know about himself?

Trust me, "potential employers" do worse than this already :-]

The way thing are already is worse because the folks who make the
decisions do so on the basis of a lot of stuff that, itself, 'moves
away from' Truth. What happens is that folks who make such decisions
invoke 'tools' that confirm their prejudices, and since the existing
'tools' all have high B.S. qoutients, everyone 'thinks' their
prejudices are 'the way things are supposed to be' :-]

| What if scans could be used to check a soldier for homosexuality?
Or a
| potential parolee for lingering violent impulses? Or a would-be
| employee for a susceptibility to major depression?

The presumption is that there's 'negativity' that's 'carved in
stone', but that 'presumption', itself, 'moves away from' Truth.

See the problem? Be-cause the way that nervous systems process
information had not been generally comprehended, there's been a lot
of B.S. that's been treated as 'truth', when all it is is
relatively-'familiar' ['blindly'-automated TD
E.I-minimization-correlated] stuff, simply be-cause it's been
experienced relatively-frequently.

There's 'moving away from' Truth that's groupwise-coersed in-there.

| Such questions are part of neuroethics, as the field is called by
many
| participants in the fast-growing discussion of ethical implications
of
| the explosion of knowledge about the brain.
|
| A handful of neuroethics conferences have been in the United States
in
| the last year or two. Emory University is holding a faculty seminar
on
| neuroethics in mid-May. The American Association for the
Advancement
| of Science plans a meeting on the legal implications of
neuroscience
| in September.

That one will be 'interesting' :-]

| If the brain privacy debate follows the model of genetic privacy --
| which focused on concerns that genetic information could be abused
by
| employers, insurers, and others -- it will lead to the proposal of
new
| laws. It could also influence ethical guidelines for the operators
of
| brain-scanning machines and help bring public opinion to bear on
| scientists and policy makers.

Ab-use is ab-use. There's =nothing= mre Reprehensible than is the
ab-use of Truth.

Get it?

When folks understand how nervous systems work, folks'll not stand
for such ab-use, and folks who do ab-use Truth will come to
understand all that's entailed.

| So far, the discussion is full of caveats. The automobile-sized MRI
| scanners needed to image brain activity are too expensive,
generally
| $2 million or $3 million, and need too much expertise to be used by
| nonscientists, say researchers. Also, existing rules about
| experimenting on humans protect subjects from coercion.
|
| Functional MRI -- the hottest of current brain-monitoring
techniques,
| though far from the only one -- uses magnetism to peer into brain
| tissue just like any medical MRI. But it also picks up jumps in
oxygen
| use that signal added activity in particular spots, illuminating
them
| in the resulting images.
|
| Though fMRI is broadly accepted as a valid way to track brain
| function, it is still relatively new, and many of the exciting
| findings about which areas of the brain ''light up'' during certain
| activities have rolled out only in the last couple of years and are
| far from established.

It was all nailed-down 20 years ago in NDT. The world's still
turning, isn't it?

| As the technology has improved in speed and
| accuracy, functional MRI studies have been growing, and many of
their
| findings are striking.
|
| Consider a Yale experiment published in 2000 that appeared to
detect
| unconscious racism in white students. The students reported no
| conscious racism, but when they were scanned, the amygdala, which
| generates and registers fear and is also associated with emotional
| learning, lit up more when students were shown unfamiliar black
faces
| than unfamiliar white faces. They showed no amygdala response to
| familiar black faces.

Relative-'familiarity' - relative TD E/I - There's no better reason
to assert Affirmative Action :-]

That is, the observations point directly to Truth with respect to
stuff that folks can do with respect to stuff that rends Society
apart.

Foster 'familiarity' - foster TD E/I-minimization that results from
mutually-inclusive experience.

The TD E/I(up) 'just' correlates to mutually-exclusive experience.

| ''You can see that as an indicant of the kinds of things that might
be
| unearthed about people,'' said Michael S. Gazzaniga director of the
| Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at Dartmouth College, who is
working
| on a book about neuroethics. ''That's an issue.''
|
| Work published last year by Dr. Daniel D. Langleben, assistant
profess
| of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, indicated that
| certain areas of the brain show more activation when people lie.
His
| group is now trying to see whether they can use the technique to
| produce an effective lie detector, one that would far outperform
the
| deeply imperfect polygraph.

They will. TD E/I(up)-'costs' are inherent in Lying - in 'moving away
from' Truth.

Anyone who 'moves toward' Truth has nothing with which to be
concerned.

But there should be a 'rule' - anyone who wants to subject another to
a 'lie-detecting' brain scan should have to undergo a 'lie-detecting'
brain scan themselves. That'd solve it :-]

| Mind-reading is decades away, Langleben said, but ''if you ask your
| questions properly, lots of questions that are in the realm of
| mind-reading probably can be answered using existing neuroscience
and
| functional imaging techniques.''

All of this already happens during the courses of folks' 'normal'
living, except folks do it in a haphazard way that, mostly, creates
Injustice and Misery.

| If a truly accurate lie detector could be developed, Caplan warns,
| current privacy guarantees might not provide enough protection
against
| scanning requests from courts, the government, the military, or
| employers.

Like I said, just 'move toward' Truth, and laugh at the 'test'.

Honor Truth, and Truth Honors you right back.

| Other imaging work has turned up results that could prove
clinically
| useful, including visible hallmarks of depression and signs of
| learning disabilities. But those findings, too, raise questions.

Again, much worse versions of the same-stuff are already occuring
ubiquitously within commonplace interactive dynamics - only, 'moving
away from' Truth is built-into all such because it's founded in
nothing more than haphazardly-accumulated 'blindly'-automated TD
E/I-minimization that perpetuates Falsehood.

| Scanning could prove a boon to psychiatrists and mental patients,
by
| helping sort out diagnoses and by leading researchers toward
| developing better treatments. But what if someone with no symptoms
is
| diagnosed as having a tendency toward mental illness because of a
| brain profile?

That'd be ab-use.

| Other questions abound. ''Brain scientists have recently identified
| the cerebral area involved in intention, the region responsible
when
| thoughts are converted into actions,'' Bruce H. Hinrichs, professor
of
| psychology at Century College in Minnesota, wrote in the magazine
The
| Humanist.

It's not 'recent'. It's been in AoK, Ap7 all along.

| ''Perhaps child molesters and other criminals in the future will
wear
| headgear that will monitor that brain region in order to determine
| when their intentions will be carried out,'' Hinrichs wrote.
''Would
| this be a reasonable method of crime prevention or a human rights
| violation?''

Nope.

What's going to happen when folks in general come to understand how
nervous systems work is that folks'll find better stuff to do with
their brains than perversion.

Parents will Love their Children in a way that 'moves toward' Truth.

Children will mature to become Adults who 'move toward' Truth.

Perversion 'moves away from' Truth, so perversion will be 'moved away
from'.

The problem has been that folks who 'lable' this or that in behavior
have, themselves, not had a clue with respect to Truth about how
brains work - so there's been all of this 'superstition' in high
places that is, itself, a huge progenitor of 'perversion'.

You know - an elementary school 'teacher', for instance, is just
'unfamiliar' with the stuff that's 'familiar' to a CHild. The
'teacher's reaction to the Child's behavior 'brands' the Child as
this or that that's 'negative', and the Child's stuck with that
'diagnosis' 'cause, after all, "there it is in black and white in the
Child's school records". "Must be true. Everyone knows every teacher
knows everything." :-]

And, so, the Child starts going down the 'waste shute', as the Child
manifests sensitivity with respect to having been 'branded'.

| He also identified the ''insidious threat'' that corporations could
| try to worm their way into consumers' minds.

Gees louise! 'corporations' are already doing all of this - and do so
with reckless disreguard for Truth.

It's already as bad as it can get :-]

| But brain-based marketing research has already begun. BrightHouse
| Institute for Thought Sciences, an Atlanta company, announced last
| summer that it was starting to apply MRI scanning to the task of
| determining people's likes and dislikes, providing what it called
| ''unprecedented insight'' into consumers' minds and seeking to
| understand ''the true drivers of consumer behavior.'' Clint Kilts,
| professor of psychiatry at Emory University Medical School and
| scientific director at BrightHouse Institute, said he had been
| surprised at the level of concern people expressed about the
prospect
| that marketers could be trying to get inside their heads.

This's flat-out ab-use, and. as above, these folks'll, soon, discover
the Consequences inherent in committing such blatent ab-use.

| ''We're just an observational science,'' he said. ''We expose
subjects
| to certain stimuli, but we don't have the ability to change their
| perception of that stimulus.''

"Yeah, sure."

That's why billions of $ are spent on 'advertising' :-]

I'm particularly concerned because what this suposed 'application' of
brain scans comes down to is ab-use of the work I've done [the
Admonition with respect to such has been in AoK all along.]

| Caplan predicted that the first time neuroethics becomes a
real-life
| issue will be in the courtroom. Some lawyers have already tried to
use
| brain scans to absolve their clients of responsibility, he said.

Indications of organic damage are legitimate evidence within Court of
Law. [I'm =not= 'taking sides' with respect to how the Court should
rule, beyond the 'normal' guidelines for "mitigation".]

| There are also questions of employment: For example, what if
scanning
| became a condition of employment, like drug testing?

Honor Truth and Truth Honors you right back.

As above, what's already going on within hiring dynamics is as bad as
things can get.

| Such a scenario is many years away, but knowledge, often imperfect
| knowledge, of the use of brain scanners is spreading fast, and
that,
| too, creates the potential for abuse. Within a few years, Caplan
| predicted, there will even be a television show that
sensationalizes
| scanning, with a name like ''Is Your Brain Bad?''

That'd be ab-use that, that'll not be tolerated when folks know Truth
with respect to the way nervous systems work.

This is an =Important= Article.

I've enjoyed it immensely, but it over-emphasizes the 'spookiness' of
the absence of understanding that still prevails, but which will,
Hopefully, not prevail much longer.

K. P. Collins