Opioids and cancer

James Michael Howard jmhoward at arkansas.net
Fri May 2 08:39:08 EST 2003

Again, opiates may be part of normal cell function in more primitive cells.
This was hard to find, but here is an example:

"The potential of embryonic skeletal tissue to synthesize proenkephalin-derived
peptides is retained in the adult in small defined undifferentiated cell
populations. This potential is realized in certain situations requiring rapid
growth, such as remodeling or fracture repair. We suggest that in these
processes, similarly to the situation in the embryo, the undifferentiated
dividing cells produce the endogenous opioids. In the adult these peptides may
have a dual function, namely participating in the control of tissue regeneration
and in the control of pain."  J Cell Biochem 1994 Jul;55(3):334-9