Fri May 2 15:26:21 EST 2003

"India to Make 'Third and Final' Bid for Peace With Pakistan", By AMY WALDMAN

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/02/international/asia/03INDO-CND.html

Quoting from the New York Times Article:

"In making a first move today, Mr. Vajpayee risks the wrath of hard-liners in his own party [...]"

"`It's a very courageous sort of move," [an Indian official] said of Mr. Vajpayee's statement today."

I Agree, and I Celebrate your Courage, Mr. Vajpayee. There will be ups and downs, but =Please= sustain it, Sir.

"In his comments today, Mr. Vajpayee also raised the state of economic relations between the two countries, and it is there that India may be looking for gestures from Pakistan. Pakistan still maintains a so-called "negative list" of Indian items it bars from import, and India has long been seeking most favored nation status."

"`It is a positive and good gesture and we appreciate this, as it was required in the region,' the Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Sheik Rashid Ahmed, told news agencies there. "We believe this will be a good start and we are going to solve all our problems, including the Kashmir issue, when the diplomatic facilities will be available.

Mr. Musharraf and Mr. Jamali were meeting with senior foreign policy officials this afternoon."

"Foreign Minister Khurshid Mehmud Kasuri said on Pakistan television on Thursday night: `We should go back to pre-Dec. 13, 2001, status vis-à-vis diplomatic relations between the two countries to create a conducive atmosphere for a composite dialogue on all outstanding issues."

HURRAH! for the Courage of all involved - sustain it - It Honors your Beings.

But, please, with respect to Peace, there can be no "finality" in our efforts to 'move toward' it.

K. P. Collins