Opioids and cancer

Peter F fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Sat May 3 10:31:52 EST 2003

"BilZ0r" <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns937079BC34AECBilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...
> My molecular biology is a little shody, but the regulator region of the
> opiod receptor gene could be a) suceptable to mutagenisis, or b) locally
> downstream from a growth region?

I suggest that it can be both fruitful and fun to also look at and analyse
cancers, and the cancer-opioid connection, from the perspective of adaptive
response-alternatives available to individuals within our early ancestral
amoebic populations.

First I shall establish that we are aware of and agree about what the full
and relevant (to cancers) behavioural (and/or coping) repertoire of these
(such) creatures were (are).

They are capable of only the 4 mutually exclusive F's, namely: Feeding,
Fleeing (Fighting was not invented back then, but it would make no
difference to this scheme had it been), Freezing (as in 'hibernating') and
Fecunding (written in place of "self-replicating" because "Fornicating,
Fucking, and Fathering, don't ring true in this case).

In the frequent event that a trillion potentially amoebic ancestral
individuals got immersed in an "irritating cloud" (type situation), only 2
possible adaptive behavioral solutions did exist:

1. That the individual suppressed its primary withdrawal reflex until the
"irritating cloud" has dispersed;

2. That, it took a last ditch gamble on self-replication as if in order to
produce an offspring that were suitably mutated to remain unaffacted by or
even (though less likely still within the realm of the possible) inclined to
eat the irritant. (The law of large numbers would have made sure even such
potential phylogenetic solutions materialised, more than on one occassion.)

*If* overwhelming irritation (by any kind of irritant) is a call to arms
also for single-cell dwelling primeordial/prototypic opioids, opioids in
cancer cells may then reflect a relict function that is restored
out-of-context when normal cells commit mutiny within an chronically
irritated (in some way) multi-cellular creature.

[Multicellular creatures, e.g. mammals like us, may get cancer from being
_inescapably and chronically "irritated"_ by different radiation, by
cancerous chemicals, by macroscopic or microscopic objects instrumental in
causing chronic shafing type irritation (e.g. hard harnesses (on oxes), and
asbestos fibres, respectively) , and at being attacked and interferred with
by viruses.]