Sun May 4 04:47:50 EST 2003

I just realized that there's a Flaw in my logic with respect to my smoking-micronutrient-cancer-weight-gain hypothesis.

If it were a generalized micronutrient uptake-blocking, then smoking wouldn't be correlated with cancers that are associated with body areas that physically encounter the 'smoke'. It could be a lcalized blocking of micronutrient uptake, and that could still be correlated to the post-smoking-cessation weight gain, but this hypothetical 'connection' becomes less-strong to the degree that increased cancer incidence in smokers is correlated to smoke-passage local irritation.

If, however, other types of cancer also increase in smokers, then my hypothesized 'connection' still seems to have 'merit'. I don't know the general cancer statistics with respect to smokers. [Anybody here in b.n know?]

It just seems so probable that the weight-gain is part of a catch-up with respect to some smoking-induced nutritional deficit that the hypothesis 'attracts' me.

Anyway, since I realized that my hypothesis is, possibly, Flawed in this way, it's necessary for me to post this 'caveat' discussion.

So many interesting questions.

So little 'time' left.

K. P. Collins