need help : Hodgkin & Huxley matlab simulation

r norman rsnorman_ at _comcast.net
Mon May 5 07:40:08 EST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 13:34:43 +0200, "eldad mittelman"
<mittelma at ee.bgu.ac.il> wrote:

>I wrote a matlab simulation for  Hodgkin & Huxley model, when I am giving a
>current stimulation I can see a change in the membrance voltage.
>how can I determine if the change is or is not an action potential?
>I need the computer to be able to recognize the action potential and that
>way I can write a program that find the stimulation threshold.
>
>thanks,
>Eldad Mittelman.
>mittelma at ee.bgu.ac.il

Use your simulation to generate two responses, one to a stimulus below
threshold and one to a stimulus above threshold.  You should see
rather obvious differences in the appearance of the two responses.  It
shouldn't be that hard to figure out a characteristic that is easy to
measure automatically.

Of course, if you are investigating things like changes in channel
density or ion concentration you can get into areas of relatively
graded active response so that there is no clear-cut discontinuous
change in the response.  However, under almost all relatively normal
circumstances, the action potential is called "all-or-none" for a good
reason.

Yes, I am being somewhat evasive in my answer because I suspect this
may be a class assignment.  So let me know what you are trying and I
will give you more help.