Electric Field Effects in the Brain?

Mon May 5 20:33:40 EST 2003

"yan king yin" <y.k.y at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:72de81ae.0304260610.1957f3aa at posting.google.com...
| [...]
| Things like ECT and TMS can affect the brain significantly...
| [...]

Here's an article that discusses TMS with respect to auditory
hallucinations that occur in 'schizophrenia':

"Experts See Mind's Voices in New Light", By ERICA GOODE

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/health/psychology/06VOIC.html

"In the control group, the auditory cortex showed a dampening of
activity in response to internal speech, they found. But this
inhibition was lacking in schizophrenic patients."

This's a TD E/I(up) condition - relative 'randomness' - a
"supersystem configuration" [AoK, Ap5] deficit. The article gives
some info regarding possible superior trmporal lobe cortical
shrinkage that may be involved. If that's the case, then it's
possible that the absence of 'normal' inputs to the TD
E.I-minimization mechanisms from that area could be what underpins
the "supersystem configuration" defict. The "supersystem
configuration"deficit, elevated TD E/I [elevated relative
'randomness'] should be observable in comparative scans. The
organically damaged brains will always exhibit relatively-higher TD
E/I [=but= to see this elevated TD E/I, researchers must turn-off
bacground filtering, because background filtering eliminates what, in
this case, is being looked for].

The article discusses how the 'hearing of voices' is temporarily
'ameliorated' following focal applications of TMS. The unstated
'conclusion' is that, somehow, the blunt instrument of TMS
temporarily 'fixes' what's 'broken' in-there, but that's not it.

In this instance, the TMS is doing something like sub-threshold ECT.
It's 'just' scrambling the detailed 'level' of the neural
architecture. The duration of the temporary 'amelioration' of
symptoms corresponds to the 'time' that what's left of 'normal' TD
E/I-minimization dynamics takes to achieve TD E/I-minimization within
the 'scrambled' detailed neural architecture that results from the
TMS.

What's happening is that the TD E/I-minimization mechanisms are just
doing what they do, and, since there's organic damage in-there, as it
eliminates the "tuning-precision void" [AoK, "Short Paper" section]
that was induced by the TMS, TD E/I-minimization just redefines the
organic damage, and exposes the "supersystem configuration" deficits
correlated to it.

TMS is =not= a 'cure' for 'schizophrenia'.

Like it's more-violent 'sibling', ECT, TMS 'just' scrambles
stuff,unlike ECT,  inducing a relatively-localized "tuning-precision
void". Doing such is like applying short-term "biological mass"
'eraser' - the net result is like sending a subject temporarily back
in his experiential 'time' - 'cause, after TMS, there's a lot of TD
E/I-minimization work that just has to be accomplished all over
again..

Techniques like this are 'snake oil' - they obscure the problem, but
do not fix it.

'Course, folks who are looking for symptomology changes stuff tend to
jump on stuff that has correlated, but illusory, external
observables.

It might be possible to effectively 'hook-up' with the detailed
neural architecture, but that'd require technology
extremely-more-advanced than an instrument with a "quarter sized"
uniform focal area.

Get it?

TMS doesn't fix anything. It just hides what needs fixing within a TD
E/I(up) "tuning-precision void".

With respect to 'schizophrenia', I stand on what's in AoK, Ap8.

K. P. Collins