what the brain does?

Tue May 6 02:22:14 EST 2003

"Yannick Chateau" <yannick.chateau at univ-brest.fr> wrote in message
news:b97ia5$81m$1 at melon.univ-brest.fr...
| but the original question is : "I would like to know how much of
the brain
| is used for coordination, communication, hearing etc,"
| maybe, I don't understand it correctly but how much mean like how
many? in
| this case, hommonculus is a representation of which part of brain
is
| associated to a part of the body (here we see that hands have a big
part in
| it).

Yes, the areas of these cortical maps do correspond to
functional-magnitude, but only in a rough way, and none of them even
comes close to containing everything that's involved in any
particular scrap of functionality. One can elicit a finger twitch by
stimulating promary motor cortex, but, in the 'real-life' of the
nervous system, vision, audition, etc. all enter into what the
electrode probe artificially elicits. So the maps don't actually
resolve the original question.

I liked Didier's response, but I'd substitute "proprioception" where
he used "vestibular"/

None of the cortical maps becomes complete at any 'level' lower than
the nervous system =as a whole=. One can see a bit of such in the
maps themselves. The primary sensory and motor cortical maps are
'half'-body maps, for instance. But the mapping is actually
distributed =throughout= the nervous system which, of course extends
to the entire body. Which is what I was addressing in my prior
response, to which you replied.

Cheers, Yannick, ken [K. P. Collins]