MR technique shows brains of Alzheimer's patients similar to immature brains in children

Wed May 7 15:06:14 EST 2003

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:3eb94650 at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| Is that what Christ meant when he said, unless ye become as little
children
| you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven?

First, the water-diffusiveness observations are 'analogous' in
Children and Adult AD sufferers for the 'same' reason, but with
radically-different 'causes'.

The 'same' reason is that the augmented water difusion reflects
relative 'randomness' within neural activation - relatively-high TD
E/I.

The radically-different 'causes' derive in the fact that, in
Children, little "biological mass" [microscopic trophic modifications
resulting from prior neural activation that's actually occured within
a brain] has been constructed, relative to Adult brains, so, 'absent'
such "biological mass", Children's brains just run freer than do
adult brains [this's discussed in AoK, Ap7 & 8].

With respect to Adult AD Sufferers, in my best Analysis, the
radically-different 'causes' derive in molecular dynamics
'running-free' because TD E/I-minimization "latching" ["pawling",
AoK, Ap5] is 'failing' ro hold things "configured" long enough for
molecular dynamics to run what would, otherwise, be their 'normal'
courses. The result is relative-'randomness' [TD E/I(up)] that's
reflected in the augmented water-diffusiveness.

The difference is that the Child's brain possesses fully-functional
TD E/I-minimization mechanisms, but the Adult AD Sufferer does not.

The Child's brain just hasn't developed as much "biological mass" as
has a 'normal' Adult brain, so the Child's brain runs freeer.

[Sadly, this 'normal' "biological mass" differential has, in our
'times', become the target of a False finitization that deems it to
be 'abnormal' - leading Children to be [Stupidly] 'treated'
[forcibly-Drugged by 'coersed-consensus' that remains Ignorant] for
so-called ADHD, etc.]

Since you asked, my Analysis with respect to Jesus' comments about
"being like children" is that Jesus was refering to the relative
freedom of Childrens' thought - the relative willingness of Children
to 'explore' physical reality, their Joy, their relative absence of
'grudges', their Innocence, their Trust, their abilities to find
Happiness in little stuff, etc., vs. 'adult' 'coersed-consensus'
Dictatorial stuff. Jesus was pointing out that such relative Freedom
of action is important within folks' discovering of 'good stuff'
[analogy to 'Heaven' being approached right in the heres and nows of
our Human existence [if you care to know, my =Belief= goes beyond
this to "Heaven" itself, and I see Jesus refering to Children's
relatively-great flexibility re. Forgiveness, and Jesus pointing to
such as a Prerequisite of Life Eternal]

Cheers, John, ken [K. P. Collins]

| White matter damage is common in TBI, probably a kinetic process
but it does
| appear that ogcs are particularly sensitive to insult, moreso for
immature
| ogcs or those actively engaged in remylineation, which I believe is
an
| ongoing process anyway. This study below doesn't provide sufficient
evidence
| but white matter damage probably plays a larger role in AD than
previously
| thought as white matter may serve to maintain a higher rate of
inflammation
| than neurons.
|
| John H.
|

| http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-05/arrs-mts042303.php
|
| Public release date: 7-May-2003
| [ Print This Article | Close This Window ]
|
| Contact: Keri Sperry
| ksperry at arrs.org
| 703-858-4306
| American Roentgen Ray Society
|
| MR technique shows brains of Alzheimer's patients similar to
immature brains
| in children
| A new MR imaging technique used to study white matter in the brain
has found
| something intriguing--the brains of Alzheimer's patients show some
of the
| same signs as the immature brains of children.
| Diffusion tensor MR imaging examinations were performed on 60
normal
| persons, ranging in age from infancy to late adulthood, says
Jeffrey Lassig,
| MD, of the University of Michigan, and lead author of the study.
The part of
| the brain that connects the two halves of the brain was studied.
When the
| brain is immature the water molecules in the white matter of the
brain move
| (diffuse) more freely. As the brain ages, the water molecules seem
more
| constrained, he says.
|
| "When we compared 13 Alzheimer's patients' brains to 13 others of
the same
| age with no signs of dementia, the Alzheimer's patients' brains
showed
| significantly higher water molecule diffusion.
|
| In other words, the Alzheimer's patients' white matter behaved more
like the
| white matter of a child's brain than that of a normal adult," says
Dr.
| Lassig. However, the increased diffusion in Alzheimer's patients is
most
| likely related to damage or dysfunction of axons (white matter
tracts),
| while the higher water diffusion in the white matter of children is
a normal
| phenomenon in immature brains, he says.
|
| Diffusion tensor MR imaging is a new technique which may help
physicians
| find white matter disease earlier in dementia, perhaps even before
symptoms
| are obvious, notes Dr. Lassig. "This technique could also take us a
step
| closer to determining the cause of Alzheimer's disease," he adds.
Currently,
| the death of neurons in the brain is suspected as the cause of
symptoms in
| Alzheimer's disease, with white matter damage a secondary
consequence of the
| neurons dying. No-one knows for sure, and this issue needs further
study,
| Dr. Lassig says.
|
| "This new technique, when used in combination with imaging to
specifically
| evaluate the death of neurons, may provide new information about
how the two
| processes interact," says Dr. Lassig.
|
| Dr. Lassig will present the study on May 7 during the American
Roentgen Ray