smith predictor and the cerebellum

siu99rnj siu99rnj at rdg.ac.uk
Wed May 7 15:18:28 EST 2003

hi

I have just read a paper that suggest the cerebellum is two linked smith
preicitors.(www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~rcm/pdf_files/SmithPred_93.PDF)  One for
modelling motor movment. The other for modelling the delays that occur (eg
delay of neuron firing, axon transmission etc). The paper was printed in the
early 90s. I would like to know the thoughts of people here on this theory.
Do you think the cerebellum is a smith predictor? If not why not?

A good explanation of the smith predictor is
http://www.manufacturing.net/ctl/index.asp?layout=articleWebzine&articleid=C
A188333

If people could let me know their thoughts I would be most grateful.

Thanks
Richard