equilibrium point hypothesis

Wed May 7 16:27:11 EST 2003

"siu99rnj" <siu99rnj at rdg.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:b9bqdc$9m2$1 at vins1.reading.ac.uk...
| Hello
|
| What is the equilibrium point hypothesis? It is coming up in a lot
opf
| papers I have read that are to do with arm torques.
|
| Thanks
| Richard

In the work I've done, it's the dynamic condition of of 'momentarily'
maximized TD E/I-minimization.

Think of this in terms of a 2-D least-potential-energy diagram - like
a "U".

Maximum TD E/I-minimization occurs at the lowest point in the "U".

This correlates to an "equilibrium point" because the dynamics tend
to overshoot max TD E/I-minimization, which results in their 'moving
back' in the other direction, and the overall illusion of there being
a 'determining oscillation', but the 'oscillation' is just an
artifact of the ongoing TD E/I-minimization dynamics.

An important feature of TD E/I-minimization is that all minima that
are converged upon are themselves dynamic minima - not actual
'equilibrium points', but fleetingly-extant 'tools' within much
larger information-processing dynamics - hierarchical TD
E/I-minimization, which dynamically converges upon many TD
E/I-minimizations within TD E/I-minimizations, ... .

There's =nothing= at 'equilibrium' within an Living 'normal' nervous
system. All there is within such is relative TD E/I-minimization
which is never complete, and which ceases only at Death.

I like to think that Isaac Newton intuited some of this whenever I
contemplate his "never at rest" metaphor :-]

K. P. Collins