Thermal injury

Electromagnet omtone at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 21:50:55 EST 2003

"KP-PC" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%> wrote in message news:<d0Wua.77145$cO3.5025972 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> I expect not for very long - just long enough for the explosion to
> occur [if you're "surrounded" by the flame, that provides a rough
> measure of the fuel quantity and oxygen quantity involved, and,
> importantly, their volumetric distribution - it'd have to be in at
> least a small room - 'cause in a larger toom the fuel-oxygen mixture
> could dissipate to easily.
>
> What you've got is, basically, a 'bomb'.
>
> It'll explode as soon as it's ignited.

No explosion. The injuries are purely thermal. A small amount of gas
[O2 and acetylene] is ignited. Rapidly (but gradually) more and more
gas is produced and ignited and the # of O2 molecules begins to
grossly outnumber the # of acetylene molecules. The manner at which
the amt. of gas is increased is such that it ignites smoothly
*without* exploding. It gets hotter and hotter as the oxygen/acetylene
ratio increases [i.e. more oxygen than acetylene].

How long would it take for me to pass out from the extensive and deep
thermal burns? [remember the injuries are thermal only; absolutely
*no* mechanical injuries]

Aceytlene is a 'clean' gas so smoke inhalation is totally out of the
question.

I once scorched ants w/ an oxyacetylene flame. As soon as the flame
touched them they died [death only took 2 seconds, approx]. [No pain,
I assume]. What about me? What temperature of flame would I need in
order to expire that short amt. of time?