FSK, Vision, and the Brain

External Network Error peer-error at excite.com
Sat May 10 15:35:35 EST 2003

r norman <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:<cqqpbvgsktmgosm9sad08spq7l868a7929 at 4ax.com>...
> On 9 May 2003 20:05:58 -0700, peer-error at excite.com (External Network
> Error) wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >
> >I am planning on developing a digital/brain interface. It uses FSK
> >[Frequency Shift Keying] signals. It is in a silicon-chip. This
> >silicon-chip is attached  to a subject's visual cortex [chip's
> >circuits connected to visual cortex's neurons]. The chip processes
> >FSK. The chip has information about the subject's visual cortex. In
> >order to produce the correct visual perception, it has to:
> >
> >1. Convert to FSK information to a language the visual cortex can
> >understand
> >2. Excite the correct region[s] of the visual cortex with the
> >compatible language.
> >
> >My design acts by affecting negative neuronal ions in the visual
> >cortex with electrons. The digital electric signal is initially
> >FSK-modulated. This signal's format is then altered so that it can
> >communicate effectively with the visual cortex [by affecting its
> >neuron's negative ions].
> >
> >Any hints accepted.
> >Thanks,
> >
> You don't indicate what degree of knowledge or experience you have
> with neurophysiology.  But from the way the proposal is stated, I
> suggest that you start with a laboratory course in neurobiology.  You
> need to understand "the language the visual cortex can understand",
> exactly what the role of "negative neuronal ions" (chloride?) really
> is, and just how your electrons can exert an effect.  It really is not
> clear why you emphasize FSK (frequency shift keying).  Frankly, it
> makes absolutely no different to the brain what the internal
> representation your digital circuitry uses -- a system using Cobol and
> binary coded decimal numbers should work as effectively as anything
> else, provided the design is proper.
>
> Note: the laboratory nature of the course is essential.  You have to
> understand just what is involved in the reality of neurophysiology.
>
> After that, go into a graduate program in neurobiology or
> bioengineering or whatever in some institution that is involved in
> visual prosthesis and get attached to a research group as a grad
> research assistant.  Then, after some post-doc work in the field, you
> will really be in a position to put your ideas (which might change
> just a tad from the experience) to real use.

There is a electronic brain device currently used by the blind.
Electrode stimulate the brain to produce visual perception. A major
disadvanted is the heat [generated by electrons flowing against
resistance] damage brain tissue eventually rendering this technique
useless. Burnt tissue is dead and does not respond to excitation of
any type. I am thinking of a device using electrical stimulation w/out
generating a denaturing amount of heat.