Antidepressants in childhood: danger???

Mon May 12 03:12:20 EST 2003

Hi John.

I expect there's a 'gradient' in there, that's not mentioned in the
text you quote. You know - quit smoking, and in 8 months I'm 'clear',
but I still have a lingering-longing for a smoke 10 years later -
it's 'curved', not all or nothing - something to work with in-there.

The thing that seems of first-importance is that there's an
indication that the psychoactive substances alter trophic dynamics,
which then leaves the neural architecture self-sustaining the
alterations because the altered chemo-background yielded altered
"biological mass", and the altered "biological mass" then governs TD
E/I-minimization convergence 'abnormally'. [This's interesting - if
it's so, then it should be possible to do comparative 'puree'
molecular analyses that'd yield molecular 'portraits' of the
"biological mass" differentials.]

Further possibilities are  two-fold:

1. The self-sustaining outcomes =might= be the result of resistance
to the TD E/I(up) that accompanies "rendering useless" [AoK, Ap8],
which would be 'exciting' because it would present an experimental
opportunity with respect to such.

2. It might be possible to reverse the dynamics, depending on the
experimental results of 1 [if 1 is anything [reminds me of Letterman
:-]]

All this said, everybody knows where I stand with respect to giving
psychoactive substances to Children. I disagree with such usage,
mainly because psychoactive substances =do= alter trophic dynamics,
and their becoming increasingly relied upon is probably a direct
reflection of dynamics that are analogous to these that you've
brought up, John - behaviorally-observable intergenerational
chemo-altered neural trophy. The Parent 'needs' the Child 'drugged'
because the Parent's being 'drugged' as a Child renders the Parent
more 'sensitive' to a Child's 'normal rambunctiousness'(?) Hmmmm... I
can see that this stuff goes on 'forever' like this. Rich
food-for-thought you've served us :-]

Cheers, ken [K. P. Collins]

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:3ebf283b at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| The below suggests to me that the current push to administer
antidepressants
| to children may predispose to depression in later life. Can someone
help me
| here?
|

| John H.
|
| http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-2/126-135-text.htm
|

| Research from several laboratories has established that treatment
with
| antidepressants early in life in otherwise normal rats produces
behavioral
| and physiological effects in adulthood that resemble human
depression. After
| neonatal treatment with antidepressants, such as clomipramine and
| desipramine, adult rats show alterations in sleep, sexual activity,
and
| other behaviors that appear to mimic those seen in depressed
patients. Of
| particular interest here are studies indicating that neonatal
antidepressant
| treatment increases voluntary alcohol intake and decreases activity
in the
| serotonin neurotransmitter system--findings that are parallel to
| observations in human subjects linking decreases in brain serotonin
activity
| to both depression and alcohol consumption.
|
| Four separate studies have examined free-running circadian rhythms
in adult
| animals treated with antidepressants in early postnatal life; two
of these
| studies used clomipramine-treated hamsters, the third one studied
| clomipramine-treated rats, and the fourth study used
desipramine-treated
| rats. Although one hamster study failed to detect any significant
effects of
| neonatal clomipramine treatment on circadian rhythms (Klemfuss and
Gillin
| 1998), the other reported shortening of the free-running period
(under
| constant light) and increased circadian amplitude (Yannielli et al.
1998).
| In rats, the researchers reported lengthening of the free-running
period (in
| constant darkness) after neonatal desipramine treatment
(Rosenwasser and