Antidepressants in childhood: danger???

Mon May 12 21:48:45 EST 2003

I've 'read' [incompletely] the article. It;s good in the data it
presents, but its synthesis is almost entirely mis-taken.

The concept of "circadian pacemaker" is False in its entirety.

It's all as I've expained in former posts [not too long ago]. The
Determining thing is degree to which nervous-system
information-processing capacity is 'used-up' during any waking
'period'.

Within such, the various TD E/I-minimization 'zones' each have their
own 'say' in what will be the net TD E/I-minimization determination
of the "circadian" functionality.

It has to be this way because, if 'atypical' experiential
circumstances were to be allowed to 'escape' TD E/I-minimization
governance, they would induce relative 'randomness' [TD E/I(up)] back
upon the rest of the "supersystem", which would degrade "supersystem'
performance, and negatively-impact Survival.

The concept of "circadian pacemaker" is False in its entirety.

What there is, instead, is globally-integrated TD E/I-minimization.

This said, "of course" the 'normal' '24-hour' day/night cycles are
very-'convenient' with respect to any evolutionarily-'engineered'
allotment of nervous-system information-processing capacity usage.
"Of course".

But there exist =no= 'clocks' within nervous systems.

There is 'just' awesomely-globally-integrated TD E/I-minimization,
through which external 3-D energydynamics are 'grasped' and
transformed into internal 3-D energydynamics.

The rigorous maintenance of Topological-order within this 3-D
energydynamics 'transformation' is the =single= ''measure' of nervous
system information-processing functionality.

No 'clock' can achieve such Topological-order maintenance, therefore,
there can be no 'clocks' within nervous systems.

Asertions that 'clocks exist' within nervous systems is 'just' a
False finitization [AoK, Ap4] that derives in an illusory and
unwarranted application of a rather-'ancient' technological 'fad'
within non-physically-correlated 'theory'. [See =The Discoverers+, by
Daniel Boorstein, for useful background info with respect to the way
that such "technological fads" spill-over within theoretical
efforts.]

The concept of 'ciradian pacemaker' is less-than-Worthless, because
it actually blocks understanding of how nervous systems process
information.

It's just Wrong.

K. P. Collins

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:3ebf283b at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| The below suggests to me that the current push to administer
antidepressants
| to children may predispose to depression in later life. Can someone
help me
| here?
|

| John H.
|
| http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-2/126-135-text.htm
|

| Research from several laboratories has established that treatment
with
| antidepressants early in life in otherwise normal rats produces
behavioral
| and physiological effects in adulthood that resemble human
depression. After
| neonatal treatment with antidepressants, such as clomipramine and
| desipramine, adult rats show alterations in sleep, sexual activity,
and
| other behaviors that appear to mimic those seen in depressed
patients. Of
| particular interest here are studies indicating that neonatal
antidepressant
| treatment increases voluntary alcohol intake and decreases activity
in the
| serotonin neurotransmitter system--findings that are parallel to
| observations in human subjects linking decreases in brain serotonin
activity
| to both depression and alcohol consumption.
|
| Four separate studies have examined free-running circadian rhythms
in adult
| animals treated with antidepressants in early postnatal life; two
of these
| studies used clomipramine-treated hamsters, the third one studied
| clomipramine-treated rats, and the fourth study used
desipramine-treated
| rats. Although one hamster study failed to detect any significant
effects of
| neonatal clomipramine treatment on circadian rhythms (Klemfuss and
Gillin
| 1998), the other reported shortening of the free-running period
(under
| constant light) and increased circadian amplitude (Yannielli et al.
1998).
| In rats, the researchers reported lengthening of the free-running
period (in
| constant darkness) after neonatal desipramine treatment
(Rosenwasser and