Antidepressants in childhood: danger???

Mon May 12 22:01:14 EST 2003

Sorry, I wanted to include further discussion, but it slipped by
because I was 'watching' and Celebrating Jacki Robinson's Triumph on
PBS as I was writing my prior reply. "Whoops!" I've added the brief
discussion below.

news:h2Zva.81248$cO3.5400608 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| I've 'read' [incompletely] the article. It;s good in the data it
| presents, but its synthesis is almost entirely mis-taken.
|
| The concept of "circadian pacemaker" is False in its entirety.
|
| It's all as I've expained in former posts [not too long ago]. The
| Determining thing is degree to which nervous-system
| information-processing capacity is 'used-up' during any waking
| 'period'.
|
| Within such, the various TD E/I-minimization 'zones' each have
their
| own 'say' in what will be the net TD E/I-minimization determination
| of the "circadian" functionality.
|
| It has to be this way because, if 'atypical' experiential
| circumstances were to be allowed to 'escape' TD E/I-minimization
| governance, they would induce relative 'randomness' [TD E/I(up)]
back
| upon the rest of the "supersystem", which would degrade
"supersystem'
| performance, and negatively-impact Survival.
|
| The concept of "circadian pacemaker" is False in its entirety.
|
| What there is, instead, is globally-integrated TD E/I-minimization.
|
| This said, "of course" the 'normal' '24-hour' day/night cycles are
| very-'convenient' with respect to any evolutionarily-'engineered'
| allotment of nervous-system information-processing capacity usage.
| "Of course".

If there was a 'biological clock' then folks who lived in Arctic and
Antarctic climes would be totally 'out-to-lunch', wouldn't they? :-]
But, instead, they are robustly-adapted to the demands of these sever
climates, =be-cause= they are not encumbered by what would be the
anti-survival dictates of non-existent 'biological clocks'. Forgive
me, please. It's =hard= to experience my Science's 'being' so
thoughtlessly wayward.  kpc

| But there exist =no= 'clocks' within nervous systems.
|
| There is 'just' awesomely-globally-integrated TD E/I-minimization,
| through which external 3-D energydynamics are 'grasped' and
| transformed into internal 3-D energydynamics.
|
| The rigorous maintenance of Topological-order within this 3-D
| energydynamics 'transformation' is the =single= ''measure' of
nervous
| system information-processing functionality.
|
| No 'clock' can achieve such Topological-order maintenance,
therefore,
| there can be no 'clocks' within nervous systems.
|
| Asertions that 'clocks exist' within nervous systems is 'just' a
| False finitization [AoK, Ap4] that derives in an illusory and
| unwarranted application of a rather-'ancient' technological 'fad'
| within non-physically-correlated 'theory'. [See =The Discoverers+,
by
| Daniel Boorstein, for useful background info with respect to the
way
| that such "technological fads" spill-over within theoretical
| efforts.]
|
| The concept of 'ciradian pacemaker' is less-than-Worthless, because
| it actually blocks understanding of how nervous systems process
| information.
|
| It's just Wrong.
|
| K. P. Collins
|
| --
| "Schmitd! Schmitd! Ve vill build a Shapel!"
| "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
| news:3ebf283b at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| | The below suggests to me that the current push to administer
| antidepressants
| | to children may predispose to depression in later life. Can
someone
| help me
| | here?
| |
| |
| | John H.
| |
| | http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-2/126-135-text.htm
| |
| |
| | Research from several laboratories has established that treatment
| with
| | antidepressants early in life in otherwise normal rats produces
| behavioral
| | and physiological effects in adulthood that resemble human
| depression. After
| | neonatal treatment with antidepressants, such as clomipramine and
| | desipramine, adult rats show alterations in sleep, sexual
activity,
| and
| | other behaviors that appear to mimic those seen in depressed
| patients. Of
| | particular interest here are studies indicating that neonatal
| antidepressant
| | treatment increases voluntary alcohol intake and decreases
activity
| in the
| | serotonin neurotransmitter system--findings that are parallel to
| | observations in human subjects linking decreases in brain
serotonin
| activity
| | to both depression and alcohol consumption.
| |
| | Four separate studies have examined free-running circadian
rhythms
| in adult
| | animals treated with antidepressants in early postnatal life; two
| of these
| | studies used clomipramine-treated hamsters, the third one studied
| | clomipramine-treated rats, and the fourth study used
| desipramine-treated
| | rats. Although one hamster study failed to detect any significant
| effects of
| | neonatal clomipramine treatment on circadian rhythms (Klemfuss
and
| Gillin
| | 1998), the other reported shortening of the free-running period
| (under
| | constant light) and increased circadian amplitude (Yannielli et
al.
| 1998).
| | In rats, the researchers reported lengthening of the free-running
| period (in
| | constant darkness) after neonatal desipramine treatment
| (Rosenwasser and
| | Hayes 1994) and increased circadian amplitude and voluntary
alcohol
| intake
| | after both neonatal desipramine and clomipramine treatments
| (alcohol intake
| | was not assessed in the hamster experiments) (Dwyer and
Rosenwasser
| 1998;
| | Rosenwasser and Hayes 1994). These studies indicate that neonatal
| | antidepressant treatment, like other animal models of depression,
| is
| | associated with alterations in the circadian pacemaker.
| |
| |
| |