FSK, Vision, and the Brain

Mon May 12 22:09:27 EST 2003

"r norman" <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message
news:7q60cv8nmpgth7v2g4rqkbn4o33os3de8v at 4ax.com...
| On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:09:11 +0200, Jean-Michel Friedt
| <friedtj at imec.be> wrote:
|
| >> I heard once that someone somewhere somehow got a neuron to
adhere to
| >> a silicon chip, and that the next stage would be for them to
communicate
| >> with each other.
| >
| >There were a lot of presentation at the 49th meeting of the
| >Americal Vacuum Society about oriented neural growth and
| >interfacing with electrodes. I can be done, but it's neither
| >trivial nor reliable (having the neuron grow along an electrode
| >does not mean it will make an electrical connexion).
| >
| >A short summary of the presentation I attended is available
| >at http://mmyotte.free.fr/chua/avs_summary.pdf, which provides
| >some names/web pages/litterature references on the topic.
| >
| >Jean-Michel
|
| And also getting tissue cultured cells to grow along a silicon
| substrate is a lot different from trying to interface to cells
inside
| a real, living brain.

Crucial, crucial, crucial, distinction, Richard.

The in-brain integration can only occur as a function of
globally-integrated, TD E/I-minimization, and, to the degree that any
'prosthesis' fails to interface with respect to such
globally-integrated TD E/I-minimization, it becomes as a 'dictator',
rather than a co-operating 'co-worker'.

Cogent 'point'.

ken [K. P. Collins]

[p. s. I could not post to sci.electronics.]