Some Behavioral 'Relativity'

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 14 01:17:12 EST 2003

Quoting from one of my Favorite works of High-Philosophy:

"`What is REAL?' asked the Rabit one day, when they were lying side
by side near the nursery fender, before Niana came to tidy the room.
`Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a
stick-out-handle?'

`Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. `It's a thing
that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time,
not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

`Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

`Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. `When
you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

`Does it happen all at once, like being wound up, he asked, `or bit
by bit?'

`It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. `You become. It
takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who
break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.
Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved
off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very
shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are
Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.'

`I suppose you are Real?' said the Rabit. And then he wished he had
not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But
the Skin Horse only smiled.

`The Boy's Uncle made me Real.' he said. `That was a great many years
ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts
for always.`"

[Quoted from =The Velveteen Rabbit=, by Margery Williams, © 1975,
ISBN: 0-380-00255-8, pp/ 17-20.]

I Agree.

K. P. Collins

news:ioDua.146204$ja4.6796435 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...