Electronic Brain Stimulation - I have some questions about the safety of it

Didier A. Depireux didier at rai.isr.umd.edu
Fri May 16 08:49:04 EST 2003

madhatter <mad_hatter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> If you've read that page, you'll know that it uses a 9v. Do you think this
> is safe? I'm really concerned, and somewhat scared of trying this again,
> though I'm also really curious.

Do you know you can easily kill yourself with a 9-V battery. Insert a needle
in one of your left fingers, and in one of your right fingers. By inserting
a needle, you can make the impedance in the couple of Ohms range. I = V/R,
and with R below 18 Ohms, and V = 9 volts, you get 1/2 Amp through your
heart, which is guaranteed to stop your heart. If you time it well, though, a
few mA will stop your heart too, so you only need the resistance to be below
1 kOhm and some luck with the timing.

I am not sure what current you need to fry your brain, though.

Actually,
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

						Didier

Didier A Depireux         ddepi001 at umaryland.edu  didier at isr.umd.edu
685 W.Baltimore Str      http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology                      Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
University of Maryland                                      -1273 (lab)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA                             Fax: 1-410-706-2512