Antidepressants in childhood: danger???

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 16 21:13:36 EST 2003

Extremely thoughtfully-well-said, John, and right on on target with
respect to Truth [although, in my view, the Life-Threatening stuff
derives in long-term 'inappropriate' Family dynamics which, at least
with respect to future Children, are ameliorated through the
disemination of the necessary understanding]. I'd do my usual
long-winded supporting thing, but I'm rushing to get to my
Employment - I'm a Dishwasher - "k. p." Collins :-]

Cheers, John, ken

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:3ec4fc3f at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| Ken,
|
| There are only a few studies on this and for obvious reasons cannot
be
| conducted on humans. I'd say its a safe bet that most clinicians
are unaware
| of these studies and if they were then there might be less
prescribing to
| children going on. Parents don't have time for children anymore,
let alone
| troublesome ones. Make them sweet and pleasant, if they look sad
give 'em a
| pill. So along comes the medical profession with more pills for the
kiddies
| when in this instance the principle of "first do no harm" should
have much
| more relevance. If the condition is life threatening sure,
something must be
| done, but in children that is remote (suicide and self harm from
depression)
| and the choice of prescribing antidepressants is not one based on
science
| but on convenience. No need to think harder, no need to explore
alternative
| strategies, just give 'em a pill. Given the wide repertoire of
available
| treatments, on the basis of these studies (all show consistent
effect), the
| choice of anti depressant administration should be last on the
list. I
| wonder ... .
|
| Good to see you still have a roof over your head.
|

| John H.
| news:EHIva.80149$cO3.5308203 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| > Hi John.
| >
| > I expect there's a 'gradient' in there, that's not mentioned in
the
| > text you quote. You know - quit smoking, and in 8 months I'm
'clear',
| > but I still have a lingering-longing for a smoke 10 years later -
| > it's 'curved', not all or nothing - something to work with
in-there.

| > The thing that seems of first-importance is that there's an
| > indication that the psychoactive substances alter trophic
dynamics,
| > which then leaves the neural architecture self-sustaining the
| > alterations because the altered chemo-background yielded altered
| > "biological mass", and the altered "biological mass" then governs
TD
| > E/I-minimization convergence 'abnormally'. [This's interesting -
if
| > it's so, then it should be possible to do comparative 'puree'
| > molecular analyses that'd yield molecular 'portraits' of the
| > "biological mass" differentials.]
| >
| > Further possibilities are  two-fold:
| >
| > 1. The self-sustaining outcomes =might= be the result of
resistance
| > to the TD E/I(up) that accompanies "rendering useless" [AoK,
Ap8],
| > which would be 'exciting' because it would present an
experimental
| > opportunity with respect to such.
| >
| > 2. It might be possible to reverse the dynamics, depending on the
| > experimental results of 1 [if 1 is anything [reminds me of
Letterman
| > :-]]
| >
| > All this said, everybody knows where I stand with respect to
giving
| > psychoactive substances to Children. I disagree with such usage,
| > mainly because psychoactive substances =do= alter trophic
dynamics,
| > and their becoming increasingly relied upon is probably a direct
| > reflection of dynamics that are analogous to these that you've
| > brought up, John - behaviorally-observable intergenerational
| > chemo-altered neural trophy. The Parent 'needs' the Child
'drugged'
| > because the Parent's being 'drugged' as a Child renders the
Parent
| > more 'sensitive' to a Child's 'normal rambunctiousness'(?)
Hmmmm... I
| > can see that this stuff goes on 'forever' like this. Rich
| > food-for-thought you've served us :-]
| >
| > Cheers, ken [K. P. Collins]
| >
| > --
| > "Schmitd! Schmitd! Ve vill build a Shapel!"
| >
| > "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
| > news:3ebf283b at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
| > | The below suggests to me that the current push to administer
| > antidepressants
| > | to children may predispose to depression in later life. Can
someone
| > help me
| > | here?
| > |
| > |
| > | John H.
| > |
| > | http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-2/126-135-text.htm
| > |
| > |
| > | Research from several laboratories has established that
treatment
| > with
| > | antidepressants early in life in otherwise normal rats produces
| > behavioral
| > | and physiological effects in adulthood that resemble human
| > depression. After
| > | neonatal treatment with antidepressants, such as clomipramine
and
| > | desipramine, adult rats show alterations in sleep, sexual
activity,
| > and
| > | other behaviors that appear to mimic those seen in depressed
| > patients. Of
| > | particular interest here are studies indicating that neonatal
| > antidepressant
| > | treatment increases voluntary alcohol intake and decreases
activity
| > in the
| > | serotonin neurotransmitter system--findings that are parallel
| > | observations in human subjects linking decreases in brain
serotonin
| > activity
| > | to both depression and alcohol consumption.
| > |
| > | Four separate studies have examined free-running circadian
rhythms
| > in adult
| > | animals treated with antidepressants in early postnatal life;
two
| > of these
| > | studies used clomipramine-treated hamsters, the third one
studied
| > | clomipramine-treated rats, and the fourth study used
| > desipramine-treated
| > | rats. Although one hamster study failed to detect any
significant
| > effects of
| > | neonatal clomipramine treatment on circadian rhythms (Klemfuss
and
| > Gillin
| > | 1998), the other reported shortening of the free-running period
| > (under
| > | constant light) and increased circadian amplitude (Yannielli et
al.
| > 1998).
| > | In rats, the researchers reported lengthening of the
free-running
| > period (in
| > | constant darkness) after neonatal desipramine treatment
| > (Rosenwasser and
| > | Hayes 1994) and increased circadian amplitude and voluntary
alcohol
| > intake
| > | after both neonatal desipramine and clomipramine treatments
| > (alcohol intake
| > | was not assessed in the hamster experiments) (Dwyer and
Rosenwasser
| > 1998;
| > | Rosenwasser and Hayes 1994). These studies indicate that
neonatal
| > | antidepressant treatment, like other animal models of
depression,
| > is
| > | associated with alterations in the circadian pacemaker.
| > |
| > |
| > |