CSF metabolite linked to affective disorder burden

KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 22 12:42:10 EST 2003

reflects the construction of experientially-correlated "biological
mass" [AoK, Ap5], which, further, discloses the 'inappropriateness'
of biochemical 'intervention'.

"Biological mass" derives in - is mapped to - experience.

Biochemical 'intervention' is not.

Do the latter =without= addressing experiential factors, and what one
ends up with is a "supersystem" having 'fractured' functionality
because the experientially-mapped "biological mass" remains extant
within the nervous system involved.

This's definitely some of what's involved in instances of
chemically-induced interactive violence.

Generalized communication of understanding of how nervous systems
process information, of course with commensurate Learning with
respect to such within individual nervous systems, will go a long way
toward ameliorating the difficulties inherent.

K. P. Collins

"Eric Wilk" <Eric.Wilk at tufts.edu> wrote in message
news:3ECC38DF.58BC833D at tufts.edu...
| CSF metabolite linked to affective disorder burden
|
| Copied wo/ permission from PsychiatryMatters.md
|
| Researchers have found a positive relationship between
cerebrospinal
| (CSF) concentrations of a
| monoamine metabolite and the accumulated burden of mood swings in
| patients with
| treatment-refractory affective disorders.
|
| The finding supports theories that affective disorders may result
in
| allostasis as opposed to
| homeostasis, in which the stress the body endures leads to
catecholamine
| systems adapting to new
| levels, say Anna Ehnvall (Varberg, Hospital, Sweden) and
colleagues.

| Reviewing a computerized program charting every previous affective
| episode for 37 patients with
| severe treatment-refractory affective disorders, the team
calculated the
| "accumulated burden of
| mood swings" (ABMS). This included the length and severity of each
episode.

| In addition, CSF concentrations of homovanillic acid (HVA),
3-methoxy-4-hydroxyphenylglycol
| (MHPG), and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) were measured and
| compared with those for
| 27 healthy controls.
|
| Analyses showed that, of all the monoamine metabolites, CSF MHPG
was the strongest
| contributor to the overall variance of ABMS.
|
| Altogether, the eight predictive variables - CSF concentrations of
HVA,