KP_PC k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 22 15:03:11 EST 2003

While reading in the 2003-05-15 issue of Nature with respect to an Abstract that's under discussion in another thread bere in b.n, I came across two short 'reports' that are relevant to this 'genetically-engineered food' discussion.

1. p.209 "Researchers strive to develop tailor-made drugs" [table of contents 'catch-phrase'], and

2. p234 "The discovery of a protein that disrupts recombination intermediates sheds light on the control mechanisms."

Both 1. & 2. point directly to Difficulties inherent in 'genetically-engineering food'.

1. discloses that it's understood that individual genetic blueprints have varying susceptibility and reactivities to chemo substances. Going forward with 'genetically-engineered food', without having, first, worked through the details that are only now being taken up in 1. is like playing Russian roulette with consumers, only the manufacturers 'point the gun' at others than themselves.

2. discloses that there remain unknown-unknowns that can be as 'simple' as a single protein, which can, if introduced 'inadvertantly', have widespread consequences with respect to folks' Health.

I observe that the lax attitude with respect to 'genetic engineering', and distribution, of such 'food' derives in the foreknowledge that any negative consequences will be ill-defined and, 'therefore', unlikely to point directly back to the manufacturers' culpability - especially not when the populations involved remain largely under Educated [which echoes the attitude which prevailed with respect to Slavery in the U.S.A.].

This stuff constitutes the very definition of Predatory behavior, and is Totally Unacceptable.

When The U.S.A. Dictates Unfounded stuff upon the rest of Humanity, it only fosters its own Difficulties down the road.

Why do such?

Instead of Uninformed-Coercion, why not insist on Proceding with Honor within such matter that impact the Future of Humanity?

Instead of seeking to 'engineer' short-term 'advantage' that fosters its own Difficulties down the road, why not co-operate in the Best-Interests of Humanity?

You know, why not do the Work, instead of taking test-in-production 'short-cuts'?

K. P. Collins