Ephedrine Neurotoxicity

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Mon May 26 07:32:33 EST 2003

However, keep in mind that IF ADHD is about loss of dopamine volume in the
synaptic cleft (studies by Volkow on Ritalin impact on DAT tend to suggest
this), then the toxicity would not be a problem because it is the MAO
degradation of Da that creates the toxic quinones. IF in ADHD this is the
problem, then the drug is simply restoring synaptic Da to functional levels,
rather than creating dangerous excesses that occur with amphetamine abuse.

Also, if toxicity is occurring then the long term administration would be
leaving disastrous results that could not be hidden, not even by the most
aggressive drug company.

Having said that, personally I still have reservations about the current
treatment or more pertinently diagnosis of ADHD. Eg. Recently a friend of
mine took her daughter to a pediatrician who advised (after 5 bloody minutes
the arrogant shithead) that her daughter has ADHD. This beautiful kid is
more sane and stable than many adults I know! Here in Aus, the West
Australian government commissioned a large study on parent training in
helping ADHD children and cognitive therapy for the kids. The results showed
marked reduction in drug requirements. Now that's me on my high horse, I
really have a problem with this current trend towards prescribing "problem"
children with psychoactive drugs.

By the way, even chronic stress with reduce DAT activity.

Parkinson's. Yes, must lose many cells but subtle testing can reveal that
even in the relatives of some Parkinson's patients (and schizophrenics) one
can detect slight cognitive changes leaning in the same direction. There
probably is no ideal level here, more a matter of balance between various
elements. As such, raw comparisons against a base line re one agent can be
very misleading. I think, who bloody knows. This stuff is too bloody hard.
Just for once, I wish I could say, "It's really quite straightforward!"

John H.

news:Xns9387A73E786D6BilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...