Ephedrine Neurotoxicity

Mark Probert markprobert at lumbercartel.com
Tue May 27 15:56:00 EST 2003

John H. wrote:
> However, keep in mind that IF ADHD is about loss of dopamine volume in the
> synaptic cleft (studies by Volkow on Ritalin impact on DAT tend to suggest
> this), then the toxicity would not be a problem because it is the MAO
> degradation of Da that creates the toxic quinones. IF in ADHD this is the
> problem, then the drug is simply restoring synaptic Da to functional levels,
> rather than creating dangerous excesses that occur with amphetamine abuse.
>
> Also, if toxicity is occurring then the long term administration would be
> leaving disastrous results that could not be hidden, not even by the most
> aggressive drug company.
>
> Having said that, personally I still have reservations about the current
> treatment or more pertinently diagnosis of ADHD. Eg. Recently a friend of
> mine took her daughter to a pediatrician who advised (after 5 bloody minutes
> the arrogant shithead) that her daughter has ADHD.

Generalization from one occurrence is never a good idea.

The Surgeon Genral's 1999 or 2000 report on psychaitric problems
addressed the over/under diagnosis issue, and it cam edown on the side
of underdiagnosis. There is ample evidence that incorrect diagnosis is
occurring, but, when I took a look at the ADHD-diagnosis picture from a
broad point of view over more than a decade, I came to the conclusion
that there is substantial undrdiagnosis, especially of younger ADD
girls. I recall recent studies which back this up.

This beautiful kid is