Concious (Question)

KP_PC k.p.collins at
Mon Nov 10 11:35:41 EST 2003

"Chris" <nimbo@(noSpamHere)> wrote in message
news:o6wrb.23$182.8 at
| Hi,
| Is a person who has had his "frontal lobe"
| (I do not know what this is) removed still
| concious or does he just react reflexly?

Frontal lobe 'removel' would leave the
person imobile. It's where the primary motor
cortex is.

Prefrontal cortex is a better candidate with
respect to your Q.

It's 'removal' significantly degrades 'con-
sciousness'. [Look up "Phineas Gage".]

But 'consciousness' derives in =global=
nervous system function, and any leision
['removal or disconnection], anywhere,
degrades it.

| Supplemental:
| Is there a part of our brain that when removed
| abolishes "conciousness".

Unless it's the 'last' such thing that can be

| By "concious" I mean the subjective experience
| of being aware of ouselves and our environment,
| not just "being awake".

ken [k. p. collins]