Concious (Question)

Didier A. Depireux didier at
Mon Nov 10 22:49:41 EST 2003

KP_PC <k.p.collins at> wrote:
> "Chris" <nimbo@(noSpamHere)> wrote in message
> news:o6wrb.23$182.8 at
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is a person who has had his "frontal lobe"
> | (I do not know what this is) removed still
> | concious or does he just react reflexly?

> Frontal lobe 'removel' would leave the
> person imobile. It's where the primary motor
> cortex is.

Eh, Moniz got the Nobel prize for prefrontal leucotomy. It's a funny story
of sorts: he found that prefrontal cortex removal "cured" depression (hence
the Nobel), esp in post-menopausal women. Further studies (after said Nobel)
showed that these women were cured of depression, and of emotions generally

Didier A Depireux         ddepi001 at  didier at
685 W.Baltimore Str
Anatomy and Neurobiology                      Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
University of Maryland                                      -1273 (lab)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA                             Fax: 1-410-706-2512