CNS Symptoms of a Theoretical Calcium Insufficiency

Matthew Kirkcaldie Matthew.Kirkcaldie at deletethis.newcastle.edu.au
Thu Oct 2 18:52:35 EST 2003

In article <464c821f.0310021152.1fcb4365 at posting.google.com>,
 glucegen at excite.com (Radium) wrote:

> Let say the calcium supply to these parts of the brain were suddenly
> and completed lost. What symptoms would occur?

Unconsciousness, death.  I answered the question in my previous post.
Neurons cannot function without calcium because it is required for
synaptic transmission.  If it were only in the cortex I suppose a
vegetative state/coma might be possible, but with no activity from the
cortex at all, I doubt it.  Why are you asking about an impossible
scenario?

         Matthew.